FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default duplicate mail logs

I've just noticed that my MTA logs into both mail.info and mail.log:

,----
| % LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
| Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical
`----

This is on sid with postfix as MTA and rsyslog as syslogd. Since I
didn't change the default configuration for these logs AFAIK, this seems
to be a bug. Anyone else seeing this with a different MTA and/or
different syslogd?

I'd like to file a bug report, but don't know which package to blame.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Bob Cox
 
Default duplicate mail logs

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:05:28 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:

> I've just noticed that my MTA logs into both mail.info and mail.log:
>
> ,----
> | % LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
> | Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical
> `----
>
> This is on sid with postfix as MTA and rsyslog as syslogd. Since I
> didn't change the default configuration for these logs AFAIK, this seems
> to be a bug. Anyone else seeing this with a different MTA and/or
> different syslogd?
>
> I'd like to file a bug report, but don't know which package to blame.

I am seeing the same running postfix on Lenny. I have never touched any
logging options AFAIK. I don't think this is 'new' behaviour:

gaia:/home/bob# ls -la /var/log/mail* | egrep '.log|.info'
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.info
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.info.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.info.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.info.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.info.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.log.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.log.4.gz


--
Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.
Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default duplicate mail logs

On 2008-12-10 11:38 +0100, Bob Cox wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:05:28 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:
>
>> I've just noticed that my MTA logs into both mail.info and mail.log:
>>
>> ,----
>> | % LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
>> | Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical
>> `----
>>
>> This is on sid with postfix as MTA and rsyslog as syslogd. Since I
>> didn't change the default configuration for these logs AFAIK, this seems
>> to be a bug. Anyone else seeing this with a different MTA and/or
>> different syslogd?
>>
>> I'd like to file a bug report, but don't know which package to blame.
>
> I am seeing the same running postfix on Lenny. I have never touched any
> logging options AFAIK. I don't think this is 'new' behaviour:
>
> gaia:/home/bob# ls -la /var/log/mail* | egrep '.log|.info'
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.info
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.info.1
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.info.2.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.info.3.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.info.4.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.log
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.log.1
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.log.3.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.log.4.gz

Do you have any /var/log/mail.{warn,err}* files? In /etc/rsyslog.conf I
find the following entries:

,----
| # First some standard log files. Log by facility.
| #
| auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth.log
| *.*;auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/syslog
| #cron.* /var/log/cron.log
| daemon.* -/var/log/daemon.log
| kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
| lpr.* -/var/log/lpr.log
| mail.* -/var/log/mail.log
| user.* -/var/log/user.log
|
| #
| # Logging for the mail system. Split it up so that
| # it is easy to write scripts to parse these files.
| #
| mail.info -/var/log/mail.info
| mail.warn -/var/log/mail.warn
| mail.err /var/log/mail.err
`----

>From this I would assume that mail.log is a catch-all file, errors go
to mail.err, warnings to mail.warn and information to mail.info.
However, when I look into the files, the warnings and errors also show
up in mail.info which makes this file quite pointless.

Anyone here using exim4 rather than postfix who sees (or does not see)
that?

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Johann Spies
 
Default duplicate mail logs

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:38:19AM +0000, Bob Cox wrote:

> I am seeing the same running postfix on Lenny. I have never touched any
> logging options AFAIK. I don't think this is 'new' behaviour:

I agree. I don't use postfix but dovecot and spamassassin both use
these logs and for years I have seen these parallel logs. I don't
know why it is necessary.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036
Informasietegnologie, Universiteit van Stellenbosch

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of
God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice,
holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
service." Romans 12:1


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Bob Cox
 
Default duplicate mail logs

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:59:54 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:

> On 2008-12-10 11:38 +0100, Bob Cox wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:05:28 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:
> >
> >> I've just noticed that my MTA logs into both mail.info and mail.log:
> >>
> >> ,----
> >> | % LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
> >> | Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical
> >> `----
> >>
> >> This is on sid with postfix as MTA and rsyslog as syslogd. Since I
> >> didn't change the default configuration for these logs AFAIK, this seems
> >> to be a bug. Anyone else seeing this with a different MTA and/or
> >> different syslogd?
> >>
> >> I'd like to file a bug report, but don't know which package to blame.
> >
> > I am seeing the same running postfix on Lenny. I have never touched any
> > logging options AFAIK. I don't think this is 'new' behaviour:
> >
> > gaia:/home/bob# ls -la /var/log/mail* | egrep '.log|.info'
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.info
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.info.1
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.info.2.gz
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.info.3.gz
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.info.4.gz
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.log
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.log.1
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.log.3.gz
> > -rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.log.4.gz
>
> Do you have any /var/log/mail.{warn,err}* files?

Yes, I have those as well:

gaia:/home/bob# ls -la /var/log/mail*
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 2008-11-24 06:25 /var/log/mail.err
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 98 2008-11-23 14:51 /var/log/mail.err.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 520960 2008-12-10 12:00 /var/log/mail.info
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.info.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.info.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.info.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.info.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 520960 2008-12-10 12:00 /var/log/mail.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.log.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.log.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 4236 2008-12-10 06:27 /var/log/mail.warn
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 6583 2008-12-07 05:20 /var/log/mail.warn.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1347 2008-11-30 05:50 /var/log/mail.warn.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 493 2008-11-22 01:30 /var/log/mail.warn.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 739 2008-11-15 06:29 /var/log/mail.warn.4.gz

> In /etc/rsyslog.conf I find the following entries:

[...]

Yes, my /etc/rsyslog.conf is the same.

> From this I would assume that mail.log is a catch-all file, errors go
> to mail.err, warnings to mail.warn and information to mail.info.
> However, when I look into the files, the warnings and errors also show
> up in mail.info which makes this file quite pointless.

That certainly seems to be the case.

> Anyone here using exim4 rather than postfix who sees (or does not see)
> that?
>
> Sven

--
Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.
Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Celejar
 
Default duplicate mail logs

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:59:54 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

...

> Anyone here using exim4 rather than postfix who sees (or does not see)
> that?

I'm using exim4 on Sid:

$ LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical

> Sven

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Sven Joachim
 
Default duplicate mail logs

On 2008-12-10 16:42 +0100, Celejar wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:59:54 +0100
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> ...
>
>> Anyone here using exim4 rather than postfix who sees (or does not see)
>> that?
>
> I'm using exim4 on Sid:
>
> $ LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
> Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical

Thanks, I opened a bug against rsyslog: http://bugs.debian.org/508376.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org