Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 AM
"Brendan West"

Default How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root) privileges?

How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root)
privileges? I thought that it was set up like that already, but I am
unable to start some programs under my normal account. And for some
reason, I can't log onto the desktop gui as root. Any ideas?

NinjaNife

Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:51:40 -0600
"Brendan West" <extremeskateboarding@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root)
> privileges? I thought that it was set up like that already, but I am
> unable to start some programs under my normal account. And for some
> reason, I can't log onto the desktop gui as root. Any ideas?

You shouldn't give your regular account root privileges, and you
shouldn't log into the DE as root. Use sudo for tasks requiring root
privileges, or su into root.

> NinjaNife

Celejar

Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Daryl Styrk

Old 12-10-2008, 02:35 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 09 December 2008, "Brendan West"
<extremeskateboarding@gmail.com> wrote about 'How do I make my normal
account (not root) have administrative (root) privileges?':
>How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root)
>privileges? I thought that it was set up like that already, but I am
>unable to start some programs under my normal account. And for some
>reason, I can't log onto the desktop gui as root. Any ideas?

I agree with the other poster, that you should use explicit commands for
gaining root level privledges. su and sudo are two ways; you can even set
sudo to no prompt for a password for things you do often.

However, you should have full access if you change your user's uid to 0.

As that point though, your user and root are mostly the same account. You
might as well just always login as root. You can change the name of the
root account fairly easily, by edit /etc/passwd (and associated shadow
files).

As for the login issue, what are you using: xdm, gdm, kdm or other?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Ron Johnson

How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root)
privileges? I thought that it was set up like that already, but I am
unable to start some programs under my normal account. And for some
reason, I can't log onto the desktop gui as root. Any ideas?

This has got to be a joke.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 AM
"Brendan West"

I am using gnome. The problem I am having with user privileges,
though, is only on the gui. I can easily use the root privileges on
the terminal. I am trying to use AVG 7.5, but it says that I don't
have the privileges to access the executable.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Strake

Your display manager may be configured not to allow root logins. Check
the documentation; there may be a directive in the configuration file
that must be changed.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Brendan West

Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 2008 December 09 21:48:26 Brendan West wrote:
>I am using gnome.

I'll assume you are using gdm then. However, xdm, gdm, and kdm can all start
Gnome, KDE, or an arbitrary X session. I use gdm to start my KDE sessions
because it's easier to find themes.

Anyway, I don't use Gnome, but ISTR that the configuration for gdm is
available as a configuration application called "Login Window" or similar.
You'll need to enable (or un-disable) root login. By default, gdm does not
allow root to login to X.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 07:34, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 2008 December 09 21:48:26 Brendan West wrote:
>>I am using gnome.
>
> I'll assume you are using gdm then. However, xdm, gdm, and kdm can all start
> Gnome, KDE, or an arbitrary X session. I use gdm to start my KDE sessions
> because it's easier to find themes.
>
> Anyway, I don't use Gnome, but ISTR that the configuration for gdm is
> available as a configuration application called "Login Window" or similar.
> You'll need to enable (or un-disable) root login. By default, gdm does not
> allow root to login to X.

It may be possible to change the config to allow root GUI logins,
but I would strongly recommended against it. Logging as root is
generally something to avoid anyway, and there is really no reason
to do a graphical login as root.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers