Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Micha Feigin

Default Making sure eth interfaces are numbered consistently

Hello,

i have 4 network interfaces in my machine all using the e1000e driver.

Can I be assured that they are all numbered consistently on each boot (i.e that
the same card is always eth0) or if not, is there a way to force it?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Ron Johnson

i have 4 network interfaces in my machine all using the e1000e driver.

Can I be assured that they are all numbered consistently on each boot (i.e that
the same card is always eth0) or if not, is there a way to force it?

Yes. Look in:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Bob Cox

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:26:34 -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> On 12/09/08 11:22, Micha Feigin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have 4 network interfaces in my machine all using the e1000e driver.
>>
>> Can I be assured that they are all numbered consistently on each boot (i.e that
>> the same card is always eth0) or if not, is there a way to force it?
>
> Yes. Look in:
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

One way is with ifrename [1] which is maybe just a convenient front-end
to Ron's suggestion.

[1] # aptitude install ifrename

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ifrename

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Micha Feigin

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:36:12 +0000
Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:26:34 -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net)
> wrote:
>
> > On 12/09/08 11:22, Micha Feigin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> i have 4 network interfaces in my machine all using the e1000e driver.
> >>
> >> Can I be assured that they are all numbered consistently on each boot (i.e
> >> that the same card is always eth0) or if not, is there a way to force it?
> >
> > Yes. Look in:
> >
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I tried using this one and it works mostly. The problem is that I start one of
the interfaces at boot to have nfs root enabled and it doesn't seem that this
works to change the name of the already configured interface. Is there a way to
bypass this or is there something wrong with my files?

> One way is with ifrename [1] which is maybe just a convenient front-end
> to Ron's suggestion.

etc is mounted read only (via nfs), and I don't know if that is the cause but
it complains that iftab is missing.