Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Micha Feigin

Default NFS boot with a dhcpless network

I want to setup three machines to boot over the network from an nfs root.
The network doesn't have a dhcp server (I prefer if it's possible to do it
without one) and the network card is only supported with newer kernels
(2.6.28-rc).

Is there a way to do it through grub or do I need to setup a minimal system and
boot from it?

Any pointers on how to set this up?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Ron Johnson

I want to setup three machines to boot over the network from an nfs root.
The network doesn't have a dhcp server (I prefer if it's possible to do it
without one) and the network card is only supported with newer kernels
(2.6.28-rc).

Is there a way to do it through grub or do I need to setup a minimal system and
boot from it?

Any pointers on how to set this up?

PXE boot seems like what you want, where the client's NIC requests
the boot files from the server.

Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Micha Feigin

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:27:28 -0600

> On 12/09/08 09:58, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I want to setup three machines to boot over the network from an nfs root.
> > The network doesn't have a dhcp server (I prefer if it's possible to do it
> > without one) and the network card is only supported with newer kernels
> > (2.6.28-rc).
> >
> > Is there a way to do it through grub or do I need to setup a minimal system
> > and boot from it?
> >
> > Any pointers on how to set this up?
>
> PXE boot seems like what you want, where the client's NIC requests
> the boot files from the server.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

Yes, theoretically that is what I want, but if I'm not mistaken PXE boot is
dependent on a dhcp server giving the machine an IP and declaring that it has
a boot image to provide, or am I wrong.

I want to give the ip as an option and use a given nfs server as a root, not
resolve these values at run time

thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Eric Gerlach

Micha Feigin wrote:

Yes, theoretically that is what I want, but if I'm not mistaken PXE boot is
dependent on a dhcp server giving the machine an IP and declaring that it has
a boot image to provide, or am I wrong.

I want to give the ip as an option and use a given nfs server as a root, not
resolve these values at run time

Are these diskless machines? If not, then theoretically you could set
up your initial RAM disk to give the IP and mount the NFS root. I
couldn't tell you exactly how to go about it, though.

If they're diskless, you'll need a DHCP server (I think).

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students

Old 12-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Ron Johnson

I want to setup three machines to boot over the network from an nfs root.
The network doesn't have a dhcp server (I prefer if it's possible to do it
without one) and the network card is only supported with newer kernels
(2.6.28-rc).

Is there a way to do it through grub or do I need to setup a minimal system
and boot from it?

Any pointers on how to set this up?
PXE boot seems like what you want, where the client's NIC requests
the boot files from the server.

Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

Yes, theoretically that is what I want, but if I'm not mistaken PXE boot is
dependent on a dhcp server giving the machine an IP and declaring that it has
a boot image to provide, or am I wrong.

I want to give the ip as an option and use a given nfs server as a root, not
resolve these values at run time

Hmmm, yes, you're right. There's got to be a way, though, using
bootp, MAC address and tftp, since that's how we did it 10 years ago
with X Terminals.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 2008 December 09 11:49:42 Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 12/09/08 11:25, Micha Feigin wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:27:28 -0600
>> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

>>> PXE boot seems like what you want, where the client's NIC requests
>>> the boot files from the server.
>>>
>>> Or am I misunderstanding your questions?
>>
>> Yes, theoretically that is what I want, but if I'm not mistaken PXE boot
>> is dependent on a dhcp server giving the machine an IP and declaring that
>> it has a boot image to provide, or am I wrong.
>>
>> I want to give the ip as an option and use a given nfs server as a root,
>> not resolve these values at run time
>
>Hmmm, yes, you're right. There's got to be a way, though, using
>bootp, MAC address and tftp, since that's how we did it 10 years ago
>with X Terminals.

DHCP is an extension to bootp. Anything you were doing with bootp 10 years
ago should be done with DHCP today. IIRC, dhcpd from ISC can do bootp
without the DHCP extensions.

And, yeah, for a full PXE boot, you will need a TFTP server on the network.
(It could be the DHCP server, but doesn't have to be.) I could be wrong, but
I believe that PXE is actually proprietary Intel extensions to and older,
standard "netboot" protocol.

If you just want NFS root, it's suppored by the kernel, I think something like
root=IP:/path, but you'll need some storage in the clients for the
bootloader, kernel image, and initrd (if any).

If you want the kernel image and initrd loaded from the network, you'll need a
DHCP server that responds to requests with the IP of the TFTP server (as path
to the file?). That response will have to include some IP address, possibly
with a very short lease, that the client will use during the TFTP download.
This IP can, of course, be overridden with configuration in the
kernel/initrd.

You can do both and, if the client needs access to more data than fits in RAM,
you'll need to. The kernel/initrd will be loaded from the TFTP server
specified in the DHCP response. The initrd will then mount the NFS root
filesystem and chroot/switch_root/pivot_root into it.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

And can't you tell DHCP to associate IP addresses to MAC addresses?
So even though OP doesn't want to use DHCP, he'd use it but not
for it's usual purpose...

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Rick Thomas