Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Jukka Salmi

Default setting default package grouping mechanism in aptitude

Hello,

I'd like the packages to be displayed sorted by status and then by
priority. Hitting `G' and then changing the given

task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(to pdir)

task,status,priority,section(subdir,passthrough),s ection(topdir)

seems to do what I want. But I'd like this to be the default package
grouping mechanism and not to enter it every time I use aptitude. Thus
I tried setting

Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping
{ "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)"; };

in ~/.aptitude/config, but this doesn't seem to work: All files are
displayed at once, apparently sorted alphabetically, and hitting `G'
shows an empty grouping order.

What am I missing?

And, BTW, according to the documentation, the default for
Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping is

filter(missing),status,section(subdir,passthrough) ,section(topdir)

but this is not what an initial `G' shows (see above, `filter(missing)'
vs `task'). Any hints?

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 03:29:09PM +0100, Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> was heard to say:
> seems to do what I want. But I'd like this to be the default package
> grouping mechanism and not to enter it every time I use aptitude. Thus
> I tried setting
>
> Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping
> { "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)"; };
>
> in ~/.aptitude/config, but this doesn't seem to work: All files are
> displayed at once, apparently sorted alphabetically, and hitting `G'
> shows an empty grouping order.
>
> What am I missing?

You need to do this:

Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping
"task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)";

Curly braces introduce a new sub-group, so the config file fragment
you wrote is the same as this:

Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping "";
Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping:: "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)";

> And, BTW, according to the documentation, the default for
> Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping is
>
> filter(missing),status,section(subdir,passthrough) ,section(topdir)
>
> but this is not what an initial `G' shows (see above, `filter(missing)'
> vs `task'). Any hints?

You need to file a bug saying that the documentation didn't change
the last time that the default did.

Daniel

Old 12-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Jukka Salmi

Daniel Burrows --> debian-user (2008-12-09 06:57:48 -0800):
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 03:29:09PM +0100, Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> was heard to say:
[...]
> > Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping
> > { "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)"; };
[...]
> You need to do this:
>
> Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping
> "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)";
>
> Curly braces introduce a new sub-group, so the config file fragment
> you wrote is the same as this:
>
> Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping "";
> Aptitude::UI:efault-Grouping:: "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(t opdir)";

Thanks, I missunderstood the syntax.

> You need to file a bug saying that the documentation didn't change
> the last time that the default did.

I'll do this as soon as reportbug is installed...

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~