Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

Default Perl modules

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 06:37:53PM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 09:04:28PM -0600, M.Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Recently, I needed to install a perl module that I was not able to find
> > with synaptic or aptitude using the 'normal' repositories. I believe the
> > module was File::Find::Path.
> >
> > I know I can install this module via CPAN. Is this the recommended
> > method when a module is not available in the 'normal' repositories?

Are you sure about the name? The standard perl-modules package includes
File::Path and File::Find, but I can't find (in CPAN) File::Find::Path .

> I think so. I'm pretty sure the CPAN tools default to putting modules
> under /usr/local/, and that's the important thing. Debian won't mess
> with /usr/local/ (or /opt/ for that matter), so anything there is safe
> from being overwritten or whatever.

While CPAN on most systems will install to somewhere under /usr/lib , on
Debian it was indeed modified to be under /usr/local .

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 AM
"M.Lewis"

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

Recently, I needed to install a perl module that I was not able to find
with synaptic or aptitude using the 'normal' repositories. I believe the
module was File::Find::Path.

I know I can install this module via CPAN. Is this the recommended
method when a module is not available in the 'normal' repositories?

Are you sure about the name? The standard perl-modules package includes
File::Path and File::Find, but I can't find (in CPAN) File::Find::Path .

Oops, my bad. s/File::Find::Path/File::Path/g. I was using that as an
example anyway.

I think so. I'm pretty sure the CPAN tools default to putting modules
under /usr/local/, and that's the important thing. Debian won't mess
with /usr/local/ (or /opt/ for that matter), so anything there is safe
from being overwritten or whatever.

While CPAN on most systems will install to somewhere under /usr/lib , on
Debian it was indeed modified to be under /usr/local .

Thanks Tzafrir, good to know!

--

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Isaac Asimov
00:25:01 up 5 days, 26 min, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Emmanuel Seyman

Hi, folks.

I've retired perl-Alien-SeleniumRC. It required selenium-server,
which was itself removed because of FTBFS issues.

I've also orphaned perl-Fedora-Bugzilla, which was too complex for me to
maintain. If anybody wishes to take it, please note that upstream is dead and
that it has 2 bugs still open (#529172, #823417).

Emmanuel