Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default Is there a default firewall on Debian Etch

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 09:25:46PM -0600, Brendan West wrote:
> I am needing to find out if there is a default firewall on Etch and
> how to control it (change settings, allow ports, programs, ect.). How
> can I do this? Thanks for any ideas.

The kernel does the firewalling, and its configuration is done with
shell scripts and IPTABLES. However, most people use a program that
sets it up for them which is easier to follow.

I suggest you install the shorewall-doc package and read its
documentation. Then install the shorewall package and use it.

Configuration is straight forward for simple configurations. Complex
stuff is more complex.

Good luck.

Doug.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM
chris

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:25:46 -0600, Brendan West wrote:

> I am needing to find out if there is a default firewall on Etch and how
> to control it (change settings, allow ports, programs, ect.). How can I
> do this? Thanks for any ideas.

http://packages.debian.org/etch/net/arno-iptables-firewall

Very easy to configure with debconf. The firewall.conf itself is heavily
documented and makes more complex stuff easy to do.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Tom Allison

I'm not aware of a default. But I started using Shorewall and found it
extremely capable. That capability comes with a degree of complexity.