Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default Building kernels the Debian way (was: DPT2044W SCSI adaptor with disk installed but no /dev/sd* devices created)

Sven Joachim:

>> Create a new config file based on the old one, this will prompt for new
>> configuration settings. Read carefully every question.
>> root# make oldconfig
>
> Finally, some good advice. But before this step, you need to copy your
> old config to linux-2.6.22.1/.config and cd to the kernel directory.

The copy should be unnecessary as long as the current config is
available from /proc/config.gz.

Either way, I suggest to go through the hassle to start with a minimal
configuration and only enable those options you need now (or which you
think you may need later). This has two main benefits: kernel compile
time drops *significantly* and you don't need to mess with initrds.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
lee

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 10:22:51PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> > Create new default link to new source code
>
> This is absolutely unnecessary and maybe even harmful. Read the README
> in the Linux kernel tree why you should not do it.

The NVIDIA driver doesn't install when it wants to compile a kernel
module and you don't have the source in the default location.

"
Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
files. They should match the library, and not get messed up by
whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.
"

Who or what puts header files into /user/src/linux? It didn't exist
before I created it.

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm