Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
lee

Default Umlaute

Hi,

how can I get xterm and xemacs to display German Umlaute correctly?
I've configured locales so that they are available, but changing LANG
in xterm or trying to change the encoding xemacs uses for a buffer
don't get the Umlaute displayed. I've never had this problem before,
it just worked fine after configuring the right locales. The only
difference is that I don't have a German keyboard now and that I'm
using amd64 instead of i386.

Web browsers display Umlaute just fine.

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm

Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-12-07 20:38 +0100, lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can I get xterm and xemacs to display German Umlaute correctly?
> I've configured locales so that they are available, but changing LANG
> in xterm or trying to change the encoding xemacs uses for a buffer
> don't get the Umlaute displayed. I've never had this problem before,
> it just worked fine after configuring the right locales. The only
> difference is that I don't have a German keyboard now and that I'm
> using amd64 instead of i386.

Please show the output of "locale".

Sven

Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
lee

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:18:08PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-12-07 20:38 +0100, lee wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > how can I get xterm and xemacs to display German Umlaute correctly?
> > I've configured locales so that they are available, but changing LANG
> > in xterm or trying to change the encoding xemacs uses for a buffer
> > don't get the Umlaute displayed. I've never had this problem before,
> > it just worked fine after configuring the right locales. The only
> > difference is that I don't have a German keyboard now and that I'm
> > using amd64 instead of i386.
>
> Please show the output of "locale".

lee@cat:~$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

I tried it with de_DE.ISO-8859-1, and it didn't work, either.

But when I gave up trying to get it to work and started to answer the
mail containing Umlaute, it suddenly worked. I don't know why, but
even xterm shows them now.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

lee wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:18:08PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2008-12-07 20:38 +0100, lee wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > how can I get xterm and xemacs to display German Umlaute correctly?
>> > I've configured locales so that they are available, but changing LANG
>> > in xterm or trying to change the encoding xemacs uses for a buffer
>> > don't get the Umlaute displayed. I've never had this problem before,
>> > it just worked fine after configuring the right locales. The only
>> > difference is that I don't have a German keyboard now and that I'm
>> > using amd64 instead of i386.
>>
>> Please show the output of "locale".
>

> lee@cat:~$ locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> LC_PAPER="en_US"
> LC_NAME="en_US"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> LC_ALL=
>

> I tried it with de_DE.ISO-8859-1, and it didn't work, either.
>
> But when I gave up trying to get it to work and started to answer the
> mail containing Umlaute, it suddenly worked. I don't know why, but
> even xterm shows them now.

try export LC_ALL=de_DE

this is equivalent to ISO-8859-1/15
export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8