Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Phillipus Gunawan

Default Hosts List (ARP?)

Hi there,

I got a debian box with a shorewall setup
Every client will have gateway pointing to debian and it works ok currently
on /etc/hosts file, i got this line:

192.168.1.1 debian
192.168.1.2 myxp

but then, even from myxp box, when I try to ping with command:

C:>ping debian
Ping request could not find host debian. Please check the name and try again.

Why is that?
Ive got dnsmasq installed and using shorewall with ppp0 connected to a bridged modem
here are some snip of conf files that might worth to mention:

/etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: files dns
networks: files
protocols: db files
services: db files
ethers: db files
rpc: db files
netgroup: nis

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 203.12.160.35
nameserver 203.12.160.36

I dont see (cant find) any conf value inside /etc/dnsmasq.conf that being enabled
From what my understanding, nsswitch.conf with line nosts: files dns, means that it
will try to read /etc/hosts first before pass it to dns which is resolv.conf

How will I get myxp' box read hosts listed on /etc/hosts?
Apart from installing BIND, is there any package able to auto-add /etc/hosts if
there is a new box being pluged into the network?

Please correct my understanding if I am wrong about any words I mentioned here

Cheers

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline

Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Chris Davies

Phillipus Gunawan <mr_phillipus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> but then, even from myxp box, when I try to ping with command:

> C:>ping debian
> Ping request could not find host debian

On this Windows box, where have you defined the host "debian"?
Chris