Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Frank McCormick

Default lost my desktop

Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 AM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 17:22, Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>> Well not all of it -- my regular icons have been replaced by generic
>> looking white ones....and when I click on 'em (I WAS configured to
>> single-click) the desktop files open in a text editor.
>>
>> I did remove an icon theme ( Nimbus I believe it was called earlier
>> today) and installed something called Moonlight (supposed to be a
>> Linux/Unix equiv to Silverlight) but as far as I know
>> didn't do or change anything else.
>>
>> Alt-F2 still works, and the panel looks OK so it seems its just the
>> desktop affected.
>

> It seems I can't create any new icons on the desktop either...

Have you logged out and back in? Have you tried changing
your theme?

The desktop in Gnome is managed by Nautilus, the File
Manager, so there might be a problem there...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Frank McCormick

Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 AM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 19:17, Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Kelly Clowers wrote:

>>> It seems I can't create any new icons on the desktop either...
>>
>> Have you logged out and back in?
>
> Dozens of times now Changed themes, customized themes by choosing new
> icon packages...renamed the .gnome and .gnome2 directories...renamed the
> .nautilus directory.
>

> The strange thing is ALL the icons on the desktop now have .desktop
> extensions. None had before.

I have no ideas, except reinstall nautilus and maybe some related
packages. If you want to try that in aptitude, select a package and
press L to mark it for reinstall. I am sure other package managers
have something similar. But maybe someone else will have a better
idea.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Frank McCormick wrote:

Kelly Clowers wrote:

[...]

Does it happen to all users on your system? If not, move .gnome, .gconf
etc, out of the way and see if it helps

-- Albert Einstein

Old 12-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Sunday 07 December 2008 08:35 am, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > Frank McCormick wrote:

> > Does it happen to all users on your system? If not, move .gnome, .gconf
> > etc, out of the way and see if it helps
>
> Yes all users are affected....I've already tried moving several
> directories and seemingly-related files out of the way but no luck. This
> is really annoying.

OK. How about restarting X? (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) I don't use Gnome, but I
have had a similar problem with KDE once (and that is once in a long, long
time), and restarting X fixed it. Also, check swap space.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Frank McCormick