Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Jesse Sheidlower

Default Mounting Samba and fstab problem

I'm trying to set up a Samba share on a Lenny laptop that I
can access as a regular user (i.e., me). I've tried going
through the man pages and Googling, but I'm still hung up on
something.

I can mount it manually with:

$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=jester //192.168.1.10/HD /mnt/RemoteDisk

and then entering the Samba password. However, then I only
have access as root.

My goal is to have access without becoming root. I don't need
it to mount on boot, as it's a laptop, and I can't access the
disk when away from home. I tried following various
instructions in the man pages, and after making a separate
credential file, ended up with this in my /etc/fstab:

//192.168.1.10/HD /mnt/RemoteDisk smbfs noauto,users,credentials=/home/jester/.smbpassword 0 0

However, when I then try to mount this, I get an error:

$ mount //192.168.1.10/HD
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not installed SUID
$

Where is my mistake here? I've tried various things with no luck.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower

Old 12-06-2008, 05:16 PM
subscriptions

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 17:52 +0100, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a Samba share on a Lenny laptop that I
> can access as a regular user (i.e., me). I've tried going
> through the man pages and Googling, but I'm still hung up on
> something.
>
> I can mount it manually with:
>
> $ sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=jester //192.168.1.10/HD /mnt/RemoteDisk
>
> and then entering the Samba password. However, then I only
> have access as root.

> Where is my mistake here? I've tried various things with no luck.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jesse Sheidlower

Use samba mount (as user, no fstab needed):
$ smbmount //192.168.1.10/HD mount-point

Where mount-point has 'rwx' for you!

Best,

Rob

Old 12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Jesse Sheidlower

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 08:16:06PM +0200, subscriptions wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 17:52 +0100, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to set up a Samba share on a Lenny laptop that I
> > can access as a regular user (i.e., me). I've tried going
> > through the man pages and Googling, but I'm still hung up on
> > something.
> >
> > I can mount it manually with:
> >
> > $ sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=jester //192.168.1.10/HD /mnt/RemoteDisk
> >
> > and then entering the Samba password. However, then I only
> > have access as root.

> > Where is my mistake here? I've tried various things with no luck.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jesse Sheidlower
>
> Use samba mount (as user, no fstab needed):
> $ smbmount //192.168.1.10/HD mount-point
>
> Where mount-point has 'rwx' for you!

Oh, god, thanks so much. The problem was just that
/mnt/RemoteDisk was owned by root; once I changed this there's
no problem with either an fstab-based mount or smbmount.

Thanks!

Jesse