Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM
"Fred Zinsli"

Default Fidre channel array

Hello everyone

I am a real newby to linux, not just debian.

I have an old compaq 6500 with 2 fibre channel arrays insalled.

I have installed deb 4.0R5 on the server.

When I do a lspci the 2 adapters appear on the list of devices.

server1:~# lspci
00:01.0 PCI bridge: IBM IBM27-82351 (rev 07)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152 (rev 03)
00:0b.0 PCI Hot-plug controller: Compaq Computer Corporation PCI Hotplug
Controller (rev 04)
00:0c.0 System peripheral: Compaq Computer Corporation Advanced System
Management Controller
00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875 (rev 14)
00:0d.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875 (rev 14)
00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC 215IIC
[Mach64 GT IIC] (rev 7a)
00:0f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:0f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:0f.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:10.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 450NX - 82451NX Memory & I/O
Controller (rev 03)
00:12.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 450NX - 82454NX/84460GX PCI
Expander Bridge (rev 02)
00:14.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 450NX - 82454NX/84460GX PCI
Expander Bridge (rev 02)
01:00.0 Mass storage controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Smart-2/P
RAID Controller (rev 03)
02:04.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro
100] (rev 05)
02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro
100] (rev 05)
04:02.0 Network controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Fibre Channel Host
Controller (rev 03)
04:04.0 Network controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Fibre Channel Host
Controller (rev 03)
04:0b.0 PCI Hot-plug controller: Compaq Computer Corporation PCI Hotplug
Controller (rev 04)

The adapters already have disk arrays attached.

What I am wanting to know is how do I use/access/setup these devices so
that I can access/use the disk arrays attached to the devices.

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I really am new to linux and don't
have a single clue.

Regards

Fred

Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 08:33:27PM +1300, Fred Zinsli wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am a real newby to linux, not just debian.
>
> I have an old compaq 6500 with 2 fibre channel arrays insalled.
>
> I have installed deb 4.0R5 on the server.
>
> When I do a lspci the 2 adapters appear on the list of devices.

> The adapters already have disk arrays attached.
>
> What I am wanting to know is how do I use/access/setup these devices so
> that I can access/use the disk arrays attached to the devices.

The adapter should present the disk arrays as virtual drives to the OS.
They should just appear in dmesg as if they are scsi drives of whatever
size. do:

$ dmesg | grep -i sd

and

$ dmesg | grep -i scsi

and

$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-path

Doug.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 PM
"Fred Zinsli"

Thank for that.

I got the following.

server1:/tmp# dmesg | grep -i sd
server1:/tmp# dmesg | grep -i scsi
server1:/tmp# ls -l /dev/disk/by-path
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-11-08 07:33 pci-0000:00:0f.1-ide-0:0 ->
../../hda
server1:/tmp#

Now I have been doing a little more research into this. It seems I have
the Tachyon HPFC-5000 PCI card.

Current information tells me that support for this card stopped after
either kernel 2.4 or 2.2

Looks like I may have to roll my entire install back to a really old
version of deb or simply install RHEL5 or earlier. Something I wasn't
planning on, especially since the latest version of deb seems to be the
only linux distro that installs and runs properly on my old compaq
servers. On that basis I moved all my servers to deb (from windowz or FC).
This is the only server with Fibre. I am currently exploring the
possibility of changing the card. The arrays attached to the cards are old
series 4100 boxes.

If anyone has any comments or thoughts I would love to here them.

Regards

Fred

Old 12-07-2008, 02:07 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 07:38:47AM +1300, Fred Zinsli wrote:

> Current information tells me that support for this card stopped after
> either kernel 2.4 or 2.2

I hate it when linux does that.

> Looks like I may have to roll my entire install back to a really old
> version of deb or simply install RHEL5 or earlier. Something I wasn't
> planning on, especially since the latest version of deb seems to be the
> only linux distro that installs and runs properly on my old compaq
> servers. On that basis I moved all my servers to deb (from windowz or FC).
> This is the only server with Fibre. I am currently exploring the
> possibility of changing the card. The arrays attached to the cards are old
> series 4100 boxes.

On my old boxes, I run OpenBSD. They seem to continue to support old
hardware, and it runs very well.

Doug.