Old 12-05-2008, 11:49 PM
"中和刘"

Default where is postgresql-8.3's packager's instructions?

I'm learnimg to use postgresql-8.3 database server on debian sid, and
I have installed it successfully from debian package, then when i read
the document from postgresql to learn to manage it, it says:
(If you are installing a pre-packaged distribution, such as an RPM or
Debian package, ignore this chapter and read the packager's
instructions instead)
so i'm wondering where is the packager's instructions? thanks

--
I'm a web developer using debian+mono(C#)+postgresql+xhtml+js+xsl+xml+css

Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Jeff D

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, *和刘 wrote:

> I'm learnimg to use postgresql-8.3 database server on debian sid, and
> I have installed it successfully from debian package, then when i read
> the document from postgresql to learn to manage it, it says:
> (If you are installing a pre-packaged distribution, such as an RPM or
> Debian package, ignore this chapter and read the packager's
> instructions instead)
> so i'm wondering where is the packager's instructions? thanks

install the postgresql-doc package, then you should be able to find the
docs in /usr/share/doc/

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 AM
"中和刘"

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, *和刘 wrote:
>
>> I'm learnimg to use postgresql-8.3 database server on debian sid, and
>> I have installed it successfully from debian package, then when i read
>> the document from postgresql to learn to manage it, it says:
>> (If you are installing a pre-packaged distribution, such as an RPM or
>> Debian package, ignore this chapter and read the packager's
>> instructions instead)
>> so i'm wondering where is the packager's instructions? thanks
>>

> install the postgresql-doc package, then you should be able to find the
> docs in /usr/share/doc/

this doc is a copy of the postgresql doc, so maybe there is no
additional instructions for it, thanks

Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

*和刘 wrote:
> I'm learnimg to use postgresql-8.3 database server on debian sid, and
> I have installed it successfully from debian package, then when i read
> the document from postgresql to learn to manage it, it says:
> (If you are installing a pre-packaged distribution, such as an RPM or
> Debian package, ignore this chapter and read the packager's
> instructions instead)
> so i'm wondering where is the packager's instructions? thanks
Debian packagers have done all needed for you. Just install postgresql-8.3 package, it's a
PostgreSQL server.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian APT contributor

Old 12-06-2008, 01:16 PM
"中和刘"

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Eugene V. Lyubimkin
<jackyf.devel@gmail.com> wrote:
> *和刘 wrote:
>> I'm learnimg to use postgresql-8.3 database server on debian sid, and
>> I have installed it successfully from debian package, then when i read
>> the document from postgresql to learn to manage it, it says:
>> (If you are installing a pre-packaged distribution, such as an RPM or
>> Debian package, ignore this chapter and read the packager's
>> instructions instead)
>> so i'm wondering where is the packager's instructions? thanks
> Debian packagers have done all needed for you. Just install postgresql-8.3 package, it's a
> PostgreSQL server.
>
> --
> Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, JID: jackyf.devel(maildog)gmail.com
> Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian APT contributor

thank you, i have another problem, when i connect to it using
pgadmin3(from the local
machine), i got the error:
--------------
An error has occurred:
Error connecting to the server: FATAL: password authentication failed
for user "postgres"
----------------
how can i fix it so that i can get pgadmin work? thanks

here is my pg_hda.conf
------------------------
# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local all postgres ident sameuser

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all ident sameuser
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5
-----------------------

Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Saturday 06 December 2008, "*和刘" <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote
about 'Re: where is postgresql-8.3's packager's instructions?':
>when i connect to it using
>pgadmin3(from the local
>machine), i got the error:
>--------------
>An error has occurred:
>Error connecting to the server: FATAL: password authentication failed
>for user "postgres"
>----------------
>how can i fix it so that i can get pgadmin work? thanks
>
>here is my pg_hda.conf
>------------------------
># Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
>local all postgres ident sameuser
>
># TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
>
># "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>local all all ident sameuser
># IPv4 local connections:
>host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
># IPv6 local connections:
>host all all ::1/128 md5
>-----------------------

Looks like pgadmin3 is trying to conenct via tcp sockets. Over tcp, your
pg_hda.conf requires a password. You have a couple of options:

1) Configure pgadmin3 to use unix sockets. In your pg_hda.conf,
connections over unix sockets are automatically authenticated using the
username associated with the process that is connecting.

2) Configure pgadmin3 to provide a password. If you haven't set a password
yet, you can set one by using the psql tool as the user "postgres". You
can use sudo or su to execute as a different user.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 AM
"中和刘"

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 06 December 2008, "*和刘" <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote
> about 'Re: where is postgresql-8.3's packager's instructions?':
>>when i connect to it using
>>pgadmin3(from the local
>>machine), i got the error:
>>--------------
>>An error has occurred:
>>Error connecting to the server: FATAL: password authentication failed
>>for user "postgres"
>>----------------
>>how can i fix it so that i can get pgadmin work? thanks
>>
>>here is my pg_hda.conf
>>------------------------
>># Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
>>local all postgres ident sameuser
>>
>># TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
>>
>># "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>>local all all ident sameuser
>># IPv4 local connections:
>>host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
>># IPv6 local connections:
>>host all all ::1/128 md5
>>-----------------------
>
> Looks like pgadmin3 is trying to conenct via tcp sockets. Over tcp, your
> pg_hda.conf requires a password. You have a couple of options:
>
> 1) Configure pgadmin3 to use unix sockets. In your pg_hda.conf,
> connections over unix sockets are automatically authenticated using the
> username associated with the process that is connecting.
how can i make this configuration? i
> 2) Configure pgadmin3 to provide a password. If you haven't set a password
> yet, you can set one by using the psql tool as the user "postgres". You
> can use sudo or su to execute as a different user.
thank you, i prefer this one, but there are some questions:
i saw one method is:
template1=# ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
another is
postgres=# ALTER ROLE postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
and the document says, the default postgres and template1 databases
are not necessory for postgresql server,
then i'm owndering, how to set the password of the database user postgres?
where are the database users and their passwords stored in postgresql
server? not in the postgresql database?
thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 AM
"中和刘"

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM, *和刘 <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
> <bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
>> On Saturday 06 December 2008, "*和刘" <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote
>> about 'Re: where is postgresql-8.3's packager's instructions?':
>>>when i connect to it using
>>>pgadmin3(from the local
>>>machine), i got the error:
>>>--------------
>>>An error has occurred:
>>>Error connecting to the server: FATAL: password authentication failed
>>>for user "postgres"
>>>----------------
>>>how can i fix it so that i can get pgadmin work? thanks
>>>
>>>here is my pg_hda.conf
>>>------------------------
>>># Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
>>>local all postgres ident sameuser
>>>
>>># TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
>>>
>>># "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>>>local all all ident sameuser
>>># IPv4 local connections:
>>>host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
>>># IPv6 local connections:
>>>host all all ::1/128 md5
>>>-----------------------
>>
>> Looks like pgadmin3 is trying to conenct via tcp sockets. Over tcp, your
>> pg_hda.conf requires a password. You have a couple of options:
>>
>> 1) Configure pgadmin3 to use unix sockets. In your pg_hda.conf,
>> connections over unix sockets are automatically authenticated using the
>> username associated with the process that is connecting.
> how can i make this configuration? i
>> 2) Configure pgadmin3 to provide a password. If you haven't set a password
>> yet, you can set one by using the psql tool as the user "postgres". You
>> can use sudo or su to execute as a different user.
> thank you, i prefer this one, but there are some questions:
> i saw one method is:
> template1=# ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
> another is
> postgres=# ALTER ROLE postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
> and the document says, the default postgres and template1 databases
> are not necessory for postgresql server,
> then i'm owndering, how to set the password of the database user postgres?
> where are the database users and their passwords stored in postgresql
> server? not in the postgresql database?
> thanks

after reading the document, i have know that we should use the alter
role one, and a role is global for all the databases.

thank you all