Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Jukka Salmi

Default unbootable system after fresh 4.0r5 installation

Hello,

I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).
While the installer seemed to have succeeded without problems, the
freshly installed system didn't boot because its root file systems could
not be found:

Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
[...]
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb

At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until

ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.

But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
present, /dev/sda.

While the installer was running I ran `fdisk -l /dev/sdb' and saw the
partitions I created. (I don't know what the installer kernel thought
/dev/sda was.) Reading /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst after the
failed boot, it seems that for some strange reason the whole system was
installed to /dev/sdb. Fixing these files (sdb -> sda) and running
update-grub(8) resulted in a bootable system.

Befor debugging this further: is this a known problem?

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

Old 12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-12-05 17:27 +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).
> While the installer seemed to have succeeded without problems, the
> freshly installed system didn't boot because its root file systems could
> not be found:
>
> Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
> [...]
> sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
>
> At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
>
> ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
>
> was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.
>
> But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> present, /dev/sda.

How many physical discs does the system have (removable and
non-removable)? And do you know the kernel versions in the installer and
the installed system?

> While the installer was running I ran `fdisk -l /dev/sdb' and saw the
> partitions I created. (I don't know what the installer kernel thought
> /dev/sda was.) Reading /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst after the
> failed boot, it seems that for some strange reason the whole system was
> installed to /dev/sdb. Fixing these files (sdb -> sda) and running
> update-grub(8) resulted in a bootable system.
>
> Befor debugging this further: is this a known problem?

Kind of, I guess. The device naming of the kernel is not static; the
Lenny installer addresses this by using UUIDs in fstab and grub.

Sven

Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Chris Davies

Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> wrote:
> I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).

> Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
> sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb

> At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
> ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
> was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.

> But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> present, /dev/sda.

I've also come across this, and it seems only to affect DELL 2950s. I've
not logged a bug because I couldn't work out /where/ (i.e. which package)
I should log it against.

You need to boot a Rescue CD[*] and change all occurrences of sdb to
sda in the files /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab. (At least, that's
what my memory suggests as I don't have my notes to hand.)

Chris
[*] Try http://www.sysresccd.org/ if you need a good Resuce CD

Old 12-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Alex Samad

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 06:15:12PM +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
> Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> wrote:
> > I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).
>
> > Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
> > sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
>
> > At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
> > ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
> > was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.
>
> > But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> > present, /dev/sda.
>

> I've also come across this, and it seems only to affect DELL 2950s. I've
> not logged a bug because I couldn't work out /where/ (i.e. which package)
> I should log it against.
>
> You need to boot a Rescue CD[*] and change all occurrences of sdb to
> sda in the files /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab. (At least, that's
> what my memory suggests as I don't have my notes to hand.)

maybe the best thing to do is change to using labels or UUID's ?

> Chris
>
>[*] Try http://www.sysresccd.org/ if you need a good Resuce CD

"I don't want nations feeling like that they can bully ourselves and our allies. I want to have a ballistic defense system so that we can make the world more peaceful, and at the same time I want to reduce our own nuclear capacities to the level commiserate with keeping the peace."

- George W. Bush
10/23/2000
Des Moines, IA

Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Dirk Vervoort

Alex Samad wrote:

[...]

Hi All,

I have got a similar problem while installing Debian on a USB stick.
While installing, it was seen as sdb. But when I boot from the USB stick
it was seen as sda.

5 or just the opposite.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Chris Davies

Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> maybe the best thing to do is change to using labels or UUID's ?

I'm not aware of any way to get the installer to do that.

There is an underlying problem here, though, whereby the installer
discovers and uses sdb when in fact it should be referencing sda. Either
the installer or its installed system is wrong, and it's probably the
installer, but it may simply be something to do with the order that udev
indeterminately discovers its devices on a 2950.

Chris

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Jukka Salmi

Hello,

Sven Joachim --> debian-user (2008-12-05 17:54:56 +0100):
> On 2008-12-05 17:27 +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
>
> > I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).
> > While the installer seemed to have succeeded without problems, the
> > freshly installed system didn't boot because its root file systems could
> > not be found:
> >
> > Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
> > [...]
> > sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
> >
> > At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
> >
> > ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
> >
> > was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.
> >
> > But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> > present, /dev/sda.
>
> How many physical discs does the system have (removable and
> non-removable)?

The system has three SCSI disks, but since they are connected to a RAID
controller to form a RAID 5 the OS should see just a single disk.

BTW, I see the same problem on another i386 system (also a PowerEdge
2950). It has six SCSI disks, four of which form a RAID 1+0, and two a
RAID 1. The installer sees /dev/sd[abc], but after the system is
installed the disk which was sdc became sdb, and the original sdb became
sda.

I should probably find out what sda is... I can try this tomorrow.

> And do you know the kernel versions in the installer and
> the installed system?

I don't remember which version they were exactly (something like
2.6.18?), but calling uname(1) from an installer shell and from the
installed system's shell both showed the same release version.

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Jukka Salmi

Jukka Salmi --> debian-user (2008-12-07 16:27:57 +0100):
> Hello,
>
> Sven Joachim --> debian-user (2008-12-05 17:54:56 +0100):
> > On 2008-12-05 17:27 +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).
> > > While the installer seemed to have succeeded without problems, the
> > > freshly installed system didn't boot because its root file systems could
> > > not be found:
> > >
> > > Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
> > > [...]
> > > sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
> > >
> > > At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
> > >
> > > ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
> > >
> > > was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.
> > >
> > > But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> > > present, /dev/sda.
> >
> > How many physical discs does the system have (removable and
> > non-removable)?
>
> The system has three SCSI disks, but since they are connected to a RAID
> controller to form a RAID 5 the OS should see just a single disk.
>
> BTW, I see the same problem on another i386 system (also a PowerEdge
> 2950). It has six SCSI disks, four of which form a RAID 1+0, and two a
> RAID 1. The installer sees /dev/sd[abc], but after the system is
> installed the disk which was sdc became sdb, and the original sdb became
> sda.
>
> I should probably find out what sda is... I can try this tomorrow.

The installer kernel prints (hand-typed):

[...]
Vendor: Dell Model: Virtual CDROM Rev: 123
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Vendor: Dell Model: Virtual Floppy Rev: 123
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb-storage: device scan complete
sr0: scsi-1 drive
sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
scsi 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
[...]

Hmm, is sda this "Virtual Floppy"? What's this? And what's a "Virtual
CDROM"? (There's an ATAPI CD-ROM connected to the system, but no floppy
drive.)

However, the real disk later (as soon as the installer menu "detect
disks" is selected) attaches as sdb:

[...]
scsi3 : LSI Logic SAS based MegaRAID driver
[...]
scsi 3:0:32:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 13
Vendor: DELL Model: PERC 6/i Rev: 1.21
SCSI device sdb: 570949632 512-byte hdwr sectors (292326 MB)
[...]
sd 3:2:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdb
sd 3:2:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
[...]

What seems to be the problem is the order in which those devices attach.
After installation and the following restart, the new kernel boots as
follows:

[...]
scsi0 : LSI Logic SAS based MegaRAID driver
[...]
Vendor: DELL Model: PERC 6/i Rev: 1.21
[...]
SCSI device sda: 570949632 512-byte hdwr sectors (292326 MB)
[...]
sd 0:2:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
[...]
Vendor: Dell Model: Virtual Floppy Rev: 123
Vendor: Dell Model: Virtual CDROM Rev: 123
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00
usb-storage: device scan complete
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
usb-storage: device scan complete
sr0: scsi-1 drive
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
scsi 0:0:32:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 13
sd 0:2:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
[...]

Hmm, this is a little bit scary because I don't understand how the
kernel choses the order of attaching devices. Can this be made static
somehow? I.e. can I somehow configure the kernel to always recognise
the SCSI RAID controller as scsi0?

> > the installed system?
>
> I don't remember which version they were exactly (something like
> 2.6.18?), but calling uname(1) from an installer shell and from the
> installed system's shell both showed the same release version.

Installer kernel:
~ # uname -a
Linux (none) 2.6.18-6-486 #1 Sat Jan 26 08:50:43 UTC 2008 i686 unknown

Installed kernel:
debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Mon Oct 13 16:13:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

Old 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Jukka Salmi

Chris Davies --> debian-user (2008-12-05 18:15:12 +0000):
> I've also come across this, and it seems only to affect DELL 2950s.
> I've not logged a bug because I couldn't work out /where/ (i.e. which
> package) I should log it against.
>
> You need to boot a Rescue CD[*] and change all occurrences of sdb to
> sda in the files /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab. (At least, that's
> what my memory suggests as I don't have my notes to hand.)

Thanks for the hint. I was able to fix the problem without a rescue CD:
Manually changing GRUBs root= parameter, booting to single-user and then
fixing fstab and menu.lst (and re-running update-grub(8)) seems to have
been enough.

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Chris Davies

Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> wrote:
> Hmm, is sda this "Virtual Floppy"? What's this? And what's a "Virtual
> CDROM"?

The Virtual CD and Floppy are controlled via the Remote Access Controller
(DRAC). The DELL Remote Access Console (DRAC) allows a suitably privileged
user to view and interact with the console remotely from "outside" the OS
- i.e. including access to BIOS setup and/or the BIOS boot process. The
Virtual CD provides a mechanism for that remote user to install an OS
from a remote image.

As a specific example, I'm based in the UK but relatively recently
installed a DELL 2950 physically located in Germany. I connected a
(Debian) install image on my local (Debian) laptop to that server's
Virtual CD drive, and proceeded to install from it.

Hope that helps,
Chris