Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Brian Kimsey-Hickman

Default Monitor is going blank

I have a fresh Debian Stable installation that I am trying to use as a informational kiosk. The only thing I changed from the default installation was to switch from gdm to kdm. My problem is the screen is going blank after about 10 or 20 minutes of inactivity. This is what I have tried:

Desktop > Preferences > Power Management:

Tab - Running on AC

"Put display to sleep when computer is inactive for: Never"

"Put computer to sleep when it is inactive for: Never"

Tab - General

"Sleep type when inactive: Do Nothing"

Desktop > Preferences > Screensaver

"Activate screensaver when session is idle" Unchecked

In bash

xset s 0 ; could not connect to display error message

xset -dpms ; could not connect to display error message

setterm -blank 0 ; took command but nothing happened

This is on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 system. I went into the bios but I could not see anything that would be causing the video display to go blank.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can keep the monitor screen from blanking? I want it to be on all the time.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
subscriptions

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 15:58 +0100, Brian Kimsey-Hickman wrote:
> I have a fresh Debian Stable installation that I am trying to use as a informational kiosk. The only thing I changed from the default installation was to switch from gdm to kdm. My problem is the screen is going blank after about 10 or 20 minutes of inactivity. This is what I have tried:
>
> Desktop > Preferences > Power Management:
>
> Tab - Running on AC
>
> "Put display to sleep when computer is inactive for: Never"
>
> "Put computer to sleep when it is inactive for: Never"
>
> Tab - General
>
> "Sleep type when inactive: Do Nothing"
>
> Desktop > Preferences > Screensaver
>
> "Activate screensaver when session is idle" Unchecked
>
> In bash
>
> xset s 0 ; could not connect to display error message
>
> xset -dpms ; could not connect to display error message
>
> setterm -blank 0 ; took command but nothing happened
>
> This is on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 system. I went into the bios but I could not see anything that would be causing the video display to go blank.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas how I can keep the monitor screen from blanking? I want it to be on all the time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Make sure you comment out the option DPMS in /etc/X11/xorg.conf as shown
here:

---snip----
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
# Option "DPMS"
EndSection
---snip----

Best,

Rob

Old 12-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Brian

> Subject: Re: Monitor is going blank
> To: "Debian User" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 11:48 AM
> On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 15:58 +0100, Brian Kimsey-Hickman
> wrote:
> > I have a fresh Debian Stable installation that I am
> trying to use as a informational kiosk. The only thing I
> changed from the default installation was to switch from gdm
> to kdm. My problem is the screen is going blank after about
> 10 or 20 minutes of inactivity. This is what I have tried:
> >
> > Desktop > Preferences > Power Management:
> >
> > Tab - Running on AC
> >
> > "Put display to sleep when computer is inactive
> for: Never"
> >
> > "Put computer to sleep when it is inactive for:
> Never"
> >
> > Tab - General
> >
> > "Sleep type when inactive: Do Nothing"
> >
> > Desktop > Preferences > Screensaver
> >
> > "Activate screensaver when session is
> idle" Unchecked
> >
> > In bash
> >
> > xset s 0 ; could not connect to display error
> message
> >
> > xset -dpms ; could not connect to display error
> message
> >
> > setterm -blank 0 ; took command but nothing happened
> >
> > This is on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 system. I went
> into the bios but I could not see anything that would be
> causing the video display to go blank.
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas how I can keep the monitor
> screen from blanking? I want it to be on all the time.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brian
>
> Make sure you comment out the option DPMS in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf as shown
> here:
>
> ---snip----
> Section "Monitor"