Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
"Brad Hedspeth"

Default Netwoking question

I have just installed debian Etch 4.0r5 on a Dell pc on its
own hard drive.* The Dell system has been running Windows XP since it was
purchased 4 years ago. **I also have Ubuntu 4.10 sharing the Windows
XP drive as my 1st linux install.* Both Ubuntu and XP are functioning
on a home network.* I have incorrectly set up the network info during the
debian install.* I have modified the /etc/route.conf and the
/etc/resolv.conf files with what I believe is correct routing info.* I am
not sure of the /etc/hosts file.* I need to break this problem down into
little pieces to avoid major frustration.* Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Ron Johnson

I have just installed debian Etch 4.0r5 on a Dell pc on its own hard
drive. The Dell system has been running Windows XP since it was
purchased 4 years ago. I also have Ubuntu 4.10 sharing the Windows XP
drive as my 1^st linux install. Both Ubuntu and XP are functioning on a
home network. I have incorrectly set up the network info during the
debian install. I have modified the /etc/route.conf and the
/etc/resolv.conf files with what I believe is correct routing info. I
am not sure of the /etc/hosts file. I need to break this problem down
into little pieces to avoid major frustration. Any help would be
appreciated.

Not a whole lot of specifics in your email,

Is resolvconf installed? If not, it should be.

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file look like? For example,
here's mine:

### BEGIN ###
$ grep -v # /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.251
dns-nameservers 68.105.28.12 68.105.29.12
dns-search homelan

auto eth0
### END ###

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Phillipus Gunawan

- make sure the host ip are different for each pc (e.g. x.x.x.1 - x.x.x.2 - etc)
- make sure the network ip are same for each pc (e.g. 192.168.0.x* - 192.168.0.x - etc)
- on linux system, make sure your 'interfaces' file (e.g on debian: /etc/network/interfaces'
auto* eth0 lo
iface lo inet
allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet static
*** address 192.168.0.5
*** netmask 255.255.255.0
*** network 192.168.0.0
*** broadcast 192.168.0.255
#* gateway 192.168.0.1

can you ping from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2?
as long as you dont have 1 pc with more than 2 network card, i dont think you need to change route.conf
resolv.conf will deal when your linux wants to access internet,
un-comment line '#* gateway 192.168.0.1' after your computers able to 'pinging' each other

cheers

I have just installed debian Etch 4.0r5 on a Dell pc on its
own hard drive.* The Dell system has been running Windows XP since it was
purchased 4 years ago. **I also have Ubuntu 4.10 sharing the Windows
XP drive as my 1st linux install.* Both Ubuntu and XP are functioning
on a home network.* I have incorrectly set up the network info during the
debian install.* I have modified the /etc/route.conf and the
/etc/resolv.conf files with what I believe is correct routing info.* I am
not sure of the /etc/hosts file.* I need to break this problem down into
little pieces to avoid major frustration.* Any help would be appreciated.

Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now.