Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Default sshd in Vserver not working

Hi list,

I cannot get sshd in a vserver to accept ssh connections. I have set
both the host and guest ip to their appropriate values (I have a
different ip for the guest and server). The network config seems fine,
as apache runs fine on both host and guest.
When I try to login, I get the following output

ssh -vvv 10.1.1.14
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 10.1.1.14 [10.1.1.14] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

And that's it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sjoerd

Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:54:24PM +0100, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I cannot get sshd in a vserver to accept ssh connections. I have set
> both the host and guest ip to their appropriate values (I have a
> different ip for the guest and server). The network config seems fine,
> as apache runs fine on both host and guest.
> When I try to login, I get the following output

Have you set (in sshd_config) the sshd to only listen on its own IP
address?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Jochen Schulz

Sjoerd Hardeman:

> ssh -vvv 10.1.1.14
> OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> debug1: Connecting to 10.1.1.14 [10.1.1.14] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0

Are you logging in as root? Does the server allow this?

Did you restrict access to the server in /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}?

J.
--
When driving at night I find the headlights of oncoming vehicles very
attractive.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

I cannot get sshd in a vserver to accept ssh connections. I have set
both the host and guest ip to their appropriate values (I have a
different ip for the guest and server). The network config seems fine,
as apache runs fine on both host and guest.
When I try to login, I get the following output

Have you set (in sshd_config) the sshd to only listen on its own IP
address?

Yes, I did set it on both the host and the guest.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Jochen Schulz wrote:

Sjoerd Hardeman:

ssh -vvv 10.1.1.14
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 10.1.1.14 [10.1.1.14] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0

Are you logging in as root? Does the server allow this?
Yes, but it is still a brand new install so root-login is allowed. And,
logging in as another user also gives the same problem

Did you restrict access to the server in /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}?
Unfortunately, it is a remote machine, and somebody shut it down. Yet,
as it is a brand new install, I don't suspect anything to be in the
/etc/hosts.* files.

Sjoerd

Old 12-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

> Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Are you logging in as root? Does the server allow this?
> Yes, but it is still a brand new install so root-login is allowed. And,
> logging in as another user also gives the same problem
>>
>> Did you restrict access to the server in /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}?
> Unfortunately, it is a remote machine, and somebody shut it down. Yet,
> as it is a brand new install, I don't suspect anything to be in the
> /etc/hosts.* files.
>
> Sjoerd
I indeed have an empty /etc/hosts.*. Yet, I have been able to get
slightly more debugging-info. Any ideas?

~$ ssh -vvv 10.1.1.14
OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 10.1.1.14 [10.1.1.14] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/sjoerd/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/sjoerd/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/sjoerd/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: An invalid name was supplied
Cannot determine realm for numeric host address

debug1: An invalid name was supplied
A parameter was malformed
Validation error

debug1: An invalid name was supplied
Cannot determine realm for numeric host address

debug1: An invalid name was supplied
A parameter was malformed
Validation error

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
Connection closed by 10.1.1.14

Sjoerd

Old 12-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

Sjoerd Hardeman schreef:
>> Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>> Are you logging in as root? Does the server allow this?
>> Yes, but it is still a brand new install so root-login is allowed. And,
>> logging in as another user also gives the same problem
>>> Did you restrict access to the server in /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}?
>> Unfortunately, it is a remote machine, and somebody shut it down. Yet,
>> as it is a brand new install, I don't suspect anything to be in the
>> /etc/hosts.* files.
>>
>> Sjoerd
> I indeed have an empty /etc/hosts.*. Yet, I have been able to get
> slightly more debugging-info. Any ideas?
>
> ~$ ssh -vvv 10.1.1.14
> OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> debug1: Connecting to 10.1.1.14 [10.1.1.14] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: identity file /home/sjoerd/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /home/sjoerd/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
> debug1: identity file /home/sjoerd/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version
> OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3
> debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-3 pat OpenSSH*
> debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3
> debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
> debug1: An invalid name was supplied
> Cannot determine realm for numeric host address
>
> debug1: An invalid name was supplied
> A parameter was malformed
> Validation error
>
> debug1: An invalid name was supplied
> Cannot determine realm for numeric host address
>
> debug1: An invalid name was supplied
> A parameter was malformed
> Validation error
>
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
> Connection closed by 10.1.1.14
>

> Sjoerd

Problem found. In bugreport 506949:
ec 6 10:56:12 hopapp sshd[26578]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Dec 6 10:56:15 hopapp sshd[26584]: error writing /proc/self/oom_adj:
Permission denied
Dec 6 10:56:15 hopapp sshd[26585]: fatal: chroot("/var/run/sshd"):
Operation not permitted

This is resolved by installing the fixed package from sid.