Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
subscriptions

Default cryptsetup, hald and automounting external disk

Hi all,

I am using cryptsetup (LUKS) successfully on most of my partitions (i.e.
not /boot) and external disk drives.

For the external drives, HALD recognises the LUKS encrypted partition
and prompts for a password.

Does anybody know where I can configure the system such that the
external disk is automatically decrypted with encryption keys and
mounted.

The documentation seems to say that /etc/crypttab is only read during
boot.

Thanks

Rob

Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 PM
"Michal R. Hoffmann"

I am using cryptsetup (LUKS) successfully on most of my partitions (i.e.
not /boot) and external disk drives.

For the external drives, HALD recognises the LUKS encrypted partition
and prompts for a password.

Does anybody know where I can configure the system such that the
external disk is automatically decrypted with encryption keys and
mounted.

In Gnome the password dialog gives a user 3 options for the password:
- forget immediately
- remember till logout
- remember 'forever'

Debian sid. I don't know what do you use - any window manager? I believe
KDE has a similar option.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

Old 12-06-2008, 02:22 PM
subscriptions

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 00:50 +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> On 04/12/08 21:28, subscriptions wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using cryptsetup (LUKS) successfully on most of my partitions (i.e.
> > not /boot) and external disk drives.
> >
> > For the external drives, HALD recognises the LUKS encrypted partition
> > and prompts for a password.
> >
> > Does anybody know where I can configure the system such that the
> > external disk is automatically decrypted with encryption keys and
> > mounted.
>
> In Gnome the password dialog gives a user 3 options for the password:
> - forget immediately
> - remember till logout
> - remember 'forever'
>
> Debian sid. I don't know what do you use - any window manager? I believe
> KDE has a similar option.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Michal R. Hoffmann

Dear Michal,

thanks! However, the solution is per user.

Thanks anyway.

Best,

Rob