Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
"elijah rutschman"

Default Iceweasel not starting

Hi all,
I recently installed Debian Lenny onto an EeePC 701. I installed
"firefox" with apt-get, which I believe is just a wrapper for
installing iceweasel.
However, if I try to launch either "iceweasel" or "firefox" from an
xterm, nothing happens, and there is no helpful console output.

$ iceweasel
$
<no new window>

$ firefox
$
<no new window>

I have tried purging iceweasel and firefox with aptitude, then
reinstalling, to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elijah Rutschman

Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

elijah rutschman wrote:

Hi all,
I recently installed Debian Lenny onto an EeePC 701. I installed
"firefox" with apt-get, which I believe is just a wrapper for
installing iceweasel.
However, if I try to launch either "iceweasel" or "firefox" from an
xterm, nothing happens, and there is no helpful console output.

$ iceweasel
$
<no new window>

$ firefox
$
<no new window>

I have tried purging iceweasel and firefox with aptitude, then
reinstalling, to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

What does:

iceasel -safe-mode

show?

Hugo

Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
"elijah rutschman"

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> What does:
>
> iceasel -safe-mode
>

> show?

Running:
$ iceweasel --safe-mode

gives the same result: there is no new window, and no console output.

Thanks,
Elijah

Old 12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
"elijah rutschman"

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:46 AM, elijah rutschman <elijahr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Running:
> $ iceweasel --safe-mode

Sorry, I meant to type iceweasel -safe-mode, with one dash before
'safe'. The result was the same, no window or output.
-Elijah

Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

elijah rutschman wrote:

Sorry, I meant to type iceweasel -safe-mode, with one dash before
'safe'. The result was the same, no window or output.

Try this:

define a new user, any user:

adduser mickey

then logon to X as that user that you just added.

Then try iceweasel again, logged on as that user.

Hugo

Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
David Jardine

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 10:52:02AM -0600, elijah rutschman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently installed Debian Lenny onto an EeePC 701. I installed
> "firefox" with apt-get, which I believe is just a wrapper for
> installing iceweasel.
> However, if I try to launch either "iceweasel" or "firefox" from an
> xterm, nothing happens, and there is no helpful console output.
>
> $ iceweasel
> $
> <no new window>
>
> $ firefox
> $
> <no new window>
>
> I have tried purging iceweasel and firefox with aptitude, then
> reinstalling, to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Try:

$ mozilla

Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Ron Johnson