Old 12-04-2008, 01:19 PM
"Patricio Inzaghi"

Default Partition damaged

Hello there,

I have a headache with my hard disk, i used gparted to resize a
partition and for some strange reason it make it unusable. I make an
image of the device with ddrescue. When i try to mount it ("mount
bkp.img /media/data -o loop") , it claims:

EXT3-fs error (device loop0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for
group 1 not in group (block 0)!
EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

If i use "fsck -y bkp.img" , only shows the program usage options and
nothing more.

When i use "fsck.ext3" (it was an ext3 partition), the error message vary to:

fsck.ext3: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open bkp.img

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

And finally, if i execute "e2fsck -b 8193 bkp.img", show the same message error.

Is there any possibility of restore the partition? or i have to focus
in data recovering?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my English.

Cheers

Old 12-07-2008, 01:49 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:19:33PM -0200, Patricio Inzaghi wrote:

> Is there any possibility of restore the partition? or i have to focus
> in data recovering?

I'd just use my backups, that I made just prior to fitzing with my
disks.

Sorry.

Doug.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

2008/12/4 Patricio Inzaghi <patricio.inzaghi@gmail.com>:
> Is there any possibility of restore the partition? or i have to focus
> in data recovering?

It looks like your partition table is damaged... have you tried

http://os.cqu.edu.au/cgi-bin/info/info2html.cgi?(parted)rescue

?

HTH,
- Jordi G.H.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
"Patricio Inzaghi"

> It looks like your partition table is damaged... have you tried
>
> http://os.cqu.edu.au/cgi-bin/info/info2html.cgi?(parted)rescue
>
> ?

Thanks for the response.

I installed parted, and i tried "parted /dev/sda3" , and then "rescue
START END", but nothing happened. No response of the command.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

2008/12/7 Patricio Inzaghi <patricio.inzaghi@gmail.com>:
>> It looks like your partition table is damaged... have you tried
>>
>> http://os.cqu.edu.au/cgi-bin/info/info2html.cgi?(parted)rescue
>>
>> ?
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I installed parted, and i tried "parted /dev/sda3" , and then "rescue
> START END", but nothing happened. No response of the command.

The rescue command needs a bit of a hint as to where the partition
could be. And it needs a pretty good hint. Is the partition at the
beginning of your drive and goes all the way to the end? You said you
resized it, so try providing the resized partition as the hint.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 AM
"Patricio Inzaghi"

Is the last partition, and i executed the command with the start and
end parameters, and before, I provide the partition device to the
parted command. What more information can i pass to it?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

2008/12/7 Patricio Inzaghi <patricio.inzaghi@gmail.com>:
> Is the last partition, and i executed the command with the start and
> end parameters, and before, I provide the partition device to the
> parted command. What more information can i pass to it?

If you literally provided START and END instead of numbers, that won't
work (but I don't know why the rescue command wouldn't work). You have
to provide approximate numbers, in megabytes, on where you expect the
partition to be.

- Jordi G. H.