Old 12-04-2008, 02:32 AM
administrator

Default gui unreadable after bad shutdown

My system fails to start properly after a bad shutdown (not using
shutdown/power cut), the graphics are incorrect and full of lines at
login point. No way of reading the screen as no real images to see, the
initial boot text is fine but on entry into GUI it all goes wrong.
This has happened before and sorted itself after waiting until the 21st
boot to sort out file integrity but not now.
I have installed a new HD as master and re loaded the latest dvd
download but still the same thing when previous HD ran as slave. Now it
has been 8 hrs trying to no avail, this is on i386, please advise, my
work is in limbo until i sort this, TIA

Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Kent West

administrator wrote:

My system fails to start properly after a bad shutdown (not using
shutdown/power cut), the graphics are incorrect and full of lines at
login point. No way of reading the screen as no real images to see, the
initial boot text is fine but on entry into GUI it all goes wrong.
This has happened before and sorted itself after waiting until the 21st
boot to sort out file integrity but not now.
I have installed a new HD as master and re loaded the latest dvd

download but still the same thing when previous HD ran as slave. Now it
has been 8 hrs trying to no avail, this is on i386, please advise, my
work is in limbo until i sort this, TIA

Try changing the res with Ctrl-Alt-plus-on-the-numpad a time or dozen.
Any improvement?

You should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to the second Virtual
Terminal (VT), and log in from there into a text-mode only setup.

From there, you can start working to fix X.

I'd start by shutting down whatever login manager you have (sudo
/etc/init.d/[x|k|g|w]dm stop). Then you can try starting X manually with
"startx &". If that gives you a garbled screen, you can
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill it, then tinker with /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and
try again.

--
Kent

Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 PM
admin

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 23:08 -0600, Kent West wrote:

administrator wrote:
> My system fails to start properly after a bad shutdown (not using
> shutdown/power cut), the graphics are incorrect and full of lines at
> login point. No way of reading the screen as no real images to see, the
> initial boot text is fine but on entry into GUI it all goes wrong.
> This has happened before and sorted itself after waiting until the 21st
> boot to sort out file integrity but not now.
> I have installed a new HD as master and re loaded the latest dvd
> download but still the same thing when previous HD ran as slave. Now it
> has been 8 hrs trying to no avail, this is on i386, please advise, my
> work is in limbo until i sort this, TIA

I managed to work out that it was the graphics card!!

must have been fading out for a while

Funny that it was fixing itself before at the same time the boot did a

file integrity check before it failed

Thanks anyway

Try changing the res with Ctrl-Alt-plus-on-the-numpad a time or dozen.
Any improvement?

You should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to the second Virtual
Terminal (VT), and log in from there into a text-mode only setup.

From there, you can start working to fix X.