Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Nick Lidakis

Default Customizable web based GUI for Debian server and daemon administration?

I'm asking the list 'cause I don't know what exactly to Google for, so...

Are there any tools that let one build a custom web based (GUI?) page
that would let users control and configure a small Debian based server?

I'm looking to put something together that would let a non-techie user
configure music player daemon configuration options from a web page;
much like users configure a simple SOHO router. I need something that
could configure MPD as well as NFS or other network attached server
partitions.

Specifically, I have friends who are very interested in my custom music
server: ALIX single board computer, Debian based Voyage Linux, MPD, and
USB audio output; all running from compact flash. They don't know a
thing about ssh or using text editors for configuration, so I'm trying
to figure out the easiest way for them to configure their system. As a
long time Monowall user, the web based approach first came to mind.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Thursday 04 December 2008, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> I'm asking the list 'cause I don't know what exactly to Google for, so...
>
> Are there any tools that let one build a custom web based (GUI?) page
> that would let users control and configure a small Debian based server?
>
> I'm looking to put something together that would let a non-techie user
> configure music player daemon configuration options from a web page;
> much like users configure a simple SOHO router. I need something that
> could configure MPD as well as NFS or other network attached server
> partitions.
>
> Specifically, I have friends who are very interested in my custom music
> server: ALIX single board computer, Debian based Voyage Linux, MPD, and
> USB audio output; all running from compact flash. They don't know a
> thing about ssh or using text editors for configuration, so I'm trying
> to figure out the easiest way for them to configure their system. As a
> long time Monowall user, the web based approach first came to mind.

Depending on the configurability you want, a couple of custom made PHP
scripts that manipulate config files could be enough for a minimal,
lightweight web-based configuration tool.

--
Michael Iatrou (xyqn)

Old 12-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Sharninder

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm asking the list 'cause I don't know what exactly to Google for, so...
>
> Are there any tools that let one build a custom web based (GUI?) page that
> would let users control and configure a small Debian based server?

webmin ?

--
Sharninder

Old 12-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Wed December 3 2008, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> Depending on the configurability you want, a couple of custom made PHP
> scripts that manipulate config files could be enough for a minimal,
> lightweight web-based configuration tool.
>
> --

what about webmin??
http://www.webmin.com/

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Nick Lidakis

Michael Iatrou wrote:

Depending on the configurability you want, a couple of custom made PHP
scripts that manipulate config files could be enough for a minimal,
lightweight web-based configuration tool.

So far, that sounds about right. Monowall is FreeBSD based, but I assume
I could download their source and use some of their PHP scripts under Linux?