Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Micha Feigin

Default centralized authentication

I am trying to setup a local cluster in uni and I need a simple centralized
authentication method (so that all users are defined on all computers and have
the same passwork). Is there a (relatively) easy way to do this?

not sure if just mounting etc (or the whole root system) through nfs is the
best way, but it may work

thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 02:50 PM
"Mariusz Sielicki"

I am trying to setup a local cluster in uni and I need a simple centralized

authentication method (so that all users are defined on all computers and have

the same passwork). Is there a (relatively) easy way to do this?

not sure if just mounting etc (or the whole root system) through nfs is the

best way, but it may work

thanks

LDAP - as database of users, groups
Samba - as Domain Controler for Windows and Linux workstations
libpam-ldap* - as ldap-backend for PAM.

Regards
Mariusz

Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
"Brian Schrock"

A good simple solution is pam mysql. You just stick the users in mysql
tables and configure pam and a few other files. In my experience ldap
is not quite as simple as libpam-mysql.

Brian,

Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Micha Feigin

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:37:44 -0500
"Brian Schrock" <schrock.brian@gmail.com> wrote:

> A good simple solution is pam mysql. You just stick the users in mysql
> tables and configure pam and a few other files. In my experience ldap
> is not quite as simple as libpam-mysql.
>

> Brian,

Thanks,

I may have not been clear enough, this can be considered a small secure system
(4 computers, and although all are connected to the Internet, they are behind
the university firewall) and all the users can be considered trusted users. The
communication between the machines is going to be private (all connected to each
other, internal cluster communication isn't visible externally), so even if not
encrypted you will have to break into the system in the first place in order to
snoop.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Wednesday 03 December 2008, Micha Feigin wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:37:44 -0500
>
> "Brian Schrock" <schrock.brian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A good simple solution is pam mysql. You just stick the users in mysql
> > tables and configure pam and a few other files. In my experience ldap
> > is not quite as simple as libpam-mysql.
> >

> > Brian,
>
> Thanks,
>
> I may have not been clear enough, this can be considered a small secure
> system (4 computers, and although all are connected to the Internet, they
> are behind the university firewall) and all the users can be considered
> trusted users. The communication between the machines is going to be
> private (all connected to each other, internal cluster communication
> isn't visible externally), so even if not encrypted you will have to
> break into the system in the first place in order to snoop.

Well, in that case, you can just name one of them as "master authentication
server" and rsync(1) /etc/{passwd,shadow} to the rest. :P

--
Michael Iatrou (iyyo)