Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Daniel Burrows

Default Xorg broken while upgrading from Etch to Lenny

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 08:27:56PM +0545, Bibek Paudel <eternalyouth@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Hi (cross-posting from Debian-testing list)
> Yesterday I upgraded from Etch to Lenny.
> 1. changed etch to lenny in /etc/apt/sources.list
> 2. # apt-get update
> 3. # apt-install install dpkg aptitude apt
> 4. # aptitude full-upgrade
>
> I rebooted the machine after upgrading and X failed to start. It showed
> error: "failed to start X server : no screen found"
> An attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" couldn't fix the problem
> and neither could "X -configure". The error shown while trying to "startx"
> after dpkg-reconfigure was:
> "failed load module 'vesa' module does not exist .
> fatal server error: no screens found"

Offhand, it sounds like you need to install xserver-xorg-video-vesa.

Daniel

Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
"Bibek Paudel"

Hi (cross-posting from Debian-testing list)
Yesterday I upgraded from Etch to Lenny.
1. changed etch to lenny in /etc/apt/sources.list
2. # apt-get update
3. # apt-install install dpkg aptitude apt
4. # aptitude full-upgrade

I rebooted the machine after upgrading and X failed to start. It showed error: "failed to start X server : no screen found"

An attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" couldn't fix the
problem and neither could "X -configure". The error shown while trying
to "startx" after dpkg-reconfigure was:
"failed load module 'vesa' module does not exist .

fatal server error: no screens found"

Xorg -configure produced the following error: "no device to configure. configuration failed"

Another error encountered while trying to "startx" was:* "no drivers available. fatal server error : no screens found"

The xorg.conf file (I'm surprised to look at its structure, but I haven't edited it) is at: http://pastebin.com/f3964aa53

Finally,
I removed xserver-xorg and installed it. Other xserver-* packages were
also reinstalled while doing this. That solved the problem finally.

1. # apt-get remove xserver-xorg
2. # apt-get install xserver-xorg

The system is running perfectly well except this hitch. Could someone explain why this happened?

Bibek

Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 06:42, Bibek Paudel <eternalyouth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi (cross-posting from Debian-testing list)
> Yesterday I upgraded from Etch to Lenny.
> 1. changed etch to lenny in /etc/apt/sources.list
> 2. # apt-get update
> 3. # apt-install install dpkg aptitude apt
> 4. # aptitude full-upgrade
>
> I rebooted the machine after upgrading and X failed to start. It showed
> error: "failed to start X server : no screen found"
> An attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" couldn't fix the problem
> and neither could "X -configure". The error shown while trying to "startx"
> after dpkg-reconfigure was:
> "failed load module 'vesa' module does not exist .
> fatal server error: no screens found"
>
> Xorg -configure produced the following error: "no device to configure.
> configuration failed"
>
> Another error encountered while trying to "startx" was: "no drivers
> available. fatal server error : no screens found"
>
> The xorg.conf file (I'm surprised to look at its structure, but I haven't
> edited it) is at: http://pastebin.com/f3964aa53
>
> Finally, I removed xserver-xorg and installed it. Other xserver-* packages
> were also reinstalled while doing this. That solved the problem finally.
>
> 1. # apt-get remove xserver-xorg
> 2. # apt-get install xserver-xorg
>
> The system is running perfectly well except this hitch. Could someone
> explain why this happened?

It looks like there is no driver specified in xorg.conf, so it guessed at which
driver to use. It guessed vesa, and apparently vesa was not available.

Does the current xorg.conf look the same, and what driver is being
used (/var/log/Xorg.0.log)?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers