Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Default Strange "news" problem

Jan Willem Stumpel escreveu:
> Icedove, which I use for mail and news, does not download headers
> from subscribed newsgroups anymore. On the 29th of November it
> still worked fine; I received some message headers (only a
> handful) dated November 30; nothing since then.
>
> The news server belongs to my ISP, but they say nothing has
> changed and they got no other complaints about this. In fact when
> I try another newsreader (pan), new message headers continue to be
> retrieved normally.
>
> So it really seems to be an Icedove problem. Even deleting the
> news account and setting it up afresh does not produce any
> messages after November 30.
>
> I update/upgrade Sid regularly, but Icedove has not been upgraded
> since October.

Try with another profile (icedove -ProfileManager should let you create
another, or move the .mozilla/thunderbird/ directory out of the way
temporarily) to see if the problem still persists with a clean profile.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Eduardo M Kalinowski wrote:

> Try with another profile (icedove -ProfileManager should let
> you create another, or move the .mozilla/thunderbird/ directory
> out of the way temporarily) to see if the problem still
> persists with a clean profile.

I tried both suggestions, but I still cannot see any news after
Nov. 30. Most mysterious.

(Hope this message make it to the list; I am not subscribed.
Normally I send messages to the list with a method involving both
the html archives and the linux.debian.user newsgroup, but the
latter does not work now :-(

May try a purge and reinstall of icedove and iceweasel.

Regards, Jan

Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Op Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:51:09 +0100 Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Icedove, which I use for mail and news, does not download headers
> from subscribed newsgroups anymore. On the 29th of November it
> still worked fine; I received some message headers (only a
> handful) dated November 30; nothing since then.

There are reports complaining about this in the nl.internet.providers
newsgroup, w.r.t. news servers of your provider.
nova.planet.nl still seems to work well.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:

> There are reports complaining about this in the
> nl.internet.providers newsgroup, w.r.t. news servers of your
> provider. nova.planet.nl still seems to work well.

Thanks very much! KPN's "help" desk is apparently not aware of
this problem. I thought the nova server was only for "binaries",
but apparently it carries "normal" newsgroups as well.

Other list members: sorry to have bothered you with a problem that
has nothing to do with Debian.

Regards, Jan