Old 12-03-2008, 10:36 AM
"john_re"

Default BerkeleyTIP Great progress VOIP November - Dec 6 = Improve VOIP

We made GREAT progress with the November 1 meeting! I really can't
believe how happy I am about it, & how far we advanced.

We went from in September having no online attendees,
to in October having 1 person remote on IRC, to in
November having 7 people around the US all in a VOIP conference! It was
_fantastic_! I was very impressed.

I'm especially impressed with our online members, who basically took the
info I had in the VOIP data page, & found a conference #, set up a
conference, & got logged in, all while I was taking a short break!

Besides two of us on VOIP in Berkeley, we had Oakland, San Fran, San
Jose, Washington state, & North Carolina. Plus we had at least two
other person on IRC who didn't have time to get on VOIP.

It was so very enjoyable talking & listening to the guy in North
Carolina - he had a _very_ strong southern accent, & I _rarely_ get to
talk with someone with that accent. It was so fun knowing I was
listening to someone who was _unmistakeably_ _not_ from the BayArea!

We had a UCB student join us on IRC from one of the dorms - he'd seen
the announcement I sent on the UCB SciPy list.

This is all doubly exciting, because I _still_ didn't even get the
announcements out until less than 24 hours before hand. Think how many
more people might see the announcement in time to join us if I get it
out 1 or two weeks ahead of time!

Good progress is me getting _this_ announcement out about 3 weeks
before the meeting to the BTIP groups. My goal is to get announcements
to the "outside" mailing lists both this coming weekend (2 weeks) & the
following weekend (1 week ahead). This will allow many more people to
schedule the December 6 meeting into their schedules.

===================
December 6 Progress Opportunities:

Some things I might be doing:
Getting announcements out for the first (or first advanced) time to
Debian, GNU, FreeBSD, KDE, & maybe Ubuntu, Ekiga & Asterisk & 10
California LUG lists.

Based on discussion that we didn't have a way to see a list of who was
in the VOIP conference room, like in an IRC client, that is a possible
target for the December Programming party. Maybe we can make some web
ap that can do that? Or, some Python program which is like a IRC client
for VOIP conference rooms? Perhaps we can modify the Ekiga sw?

Also, I'll try to notify the Ekiga & Asterisk people about this, in case
they'd like to help out.

Discussion might be about K-Ubuntu 8.10.

There's a new video from Christine Peterson about Open Source
Environment Sensing. If you know of any new FSW videos, please email me
or the list so I can put them on the BTIPG video page.

Any comments or questions? Hope to see you in person in Berkeley,
or VOIP conference with you all on Sat Dec 6.

http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal