Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 PM
"Adem"

Default Power saving in debian

Hi,
how can I use powersaving in Debian?
I have Debian Lenny without a GUI desktop installed.
Mostly it is accessed via ssh and svn.
How can I configure it so that during inactivity
the HD, CPU, fan etc lower their energy consumption?
Since I switch off the monitor manually, is there a way to also
power down the graphics card because it is a real power hog I think?

Old 12-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 00:34:34 +0100
"Adem" <for-gmane@alicewho.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> how can I use powersaving in Debian?
> I have Debian Lenny without a GUI desktop installed.
> Mostly it is accessed via ssh and svn.
> How can I configure it so that during inactivity
> the HD, CPU, fan etc lower their energy consumption?
> Since I switch off the monitor manually, is there a way to also
> power down the graphics card because it is a real power hog I think?

The hard drive can definitely be spin down automatically using power
management scripts. I think you can configure it using acpi if I'm not
mistaken.

As for the graphics card...if you don't use a monitor why not remove it
completely? As for powering it down, that won't be possible because of
the way computers are designed. The only "computer" that does this is
the OLPC.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Micha Feigin

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:24:40 -0800
Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 00:34:34 +0100
> "Adem" <for-gmane@alicewho.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > how can I use powersaving in Debian?
> > I have Debian Lenny without a GUI desktop installed.
> > Mostly it is accessed via ssh and svn.
> > How can I configure it so that during inactivity
> > the HD, CPU, fan etc lower their energy consumption?

Fan should turn off automatically when temperature is low enough. If the cpu has
throttling support you can play with the scaling governor.

for the hard disk look into laptop mode, it allows holding writing to disk for
longer periods (cache disk writes in memory for 20-30 minutes) which allows the
disk to spin down. Also allows playing with disk power management (look into
hdparm also). if you put a slower disk in (5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm it will
also reduce power consumption)

Look into
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
and
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

You may also want to mute audio.

> > Since I switch off the monitor manually, is there a way to also
> > power down the graphics card because it is a real power hog I think?

depending on the graphic card and driver it may be possible to underclock it
(at least the more expensive nvidias have a possibility to overclock, possibly
underclock as well, with nvidia-settings, don't know about others).

you can also leave the machine headless (no graphic card) and just log in
remotely. There is a possibility to play with pci powersave but I don't know
much about it.

I think that xrandr can turn off the video output also, not sure of the command
though.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,25.Dec.08, 09:55:32, Micha Feigin wrote:

> for the hard disk look into laptop mode, it allows holding writing to disk for
> longer periods (cache disk writes in memory for 20-30 minutes) which allows the
> disk to spin down. Also allows playing with disk power management (look into

But beware, this can be dangerous if you don't have a ups.

> depending on the graphic card and driver it may be possible to underclock it
> (at least the more expensive nvidias have a possibility to overclock, possibly
> underclock as well, with nvidia-settings, don't know about others).
>
> you can also leave the machine headless (no graphic card) and just log in
> remotely. There is a possibility to play with pci powersave but I don't know
> much about it.

> > As for the graphics card...if you don't use a monitor why not remove it
> > completely? As for powering it down, that won't be possible because of
> > the way computers are designed. The only "computer" that does this is
> > the OLPC.

Unfortunately some computers (at least the older ones) won't boot at all
without a graphics card and with one card I have you even have to have a
monitor plugged in.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Micha Feigin

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:10:34 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu,25.Dec.08, 09:55:32, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> > for the hard disk look into laptop mode, it allows holding writing to disk
> > for longer periods (cache disk writes in memory for 20-30 minutes) which
> > allows the disk to spin down. Also allows playing with disk power
> > management (look into
>
> But beware, this can be dangerous if you don't have a ups.
>
> > depending on the graphic card and driver it may be possible to underclock it
> > (at least the more expensive nvidias have a possibility to overclock,
> > possibly underclock as well, with nvidia-settings, don't know about others).
> >
> > you can also leave the machine headless (no graphic card) and just log in
> > remotely. There is a possibility to play with pci powersave but I don't know
> > much about it.
>
> > > As for the graphics card...if you don't use a monitor why not remove it
> > > completely? As for powering it down, that won't be possible because of
> > > the way computers are designed. The only "computer" that does this is
> > > the OLPC.
>
> Unfortunately some computers (at least the older ones) won't boot at all
> without a graphics card and with one card I have you even have to have a
> monitor plugged in.

Check the bios. I had some experience with running older computers and those
that complain with errors regarding keyboard/screen etc usually have a bios
option to select which errors to stop on and which to ignore

Old 12-25-2008, 04:46 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/12/25 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> Unfortunately some computers (at least the older ones) won't boot at all
> without a graphics card and with one card I have you even have to have a
> monitor plugged in.

Have you looked for a BIOS update?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 12-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,25.Dec.08, 19:46:05, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/12/25 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> > Unfortunately some computers (at least the older ones) won't boot at all
> > without a graphics card and with one card I have you even have to have a
> > monitor plugged in.
>
> Have you looked for a BIOS update?

Yes (for a different issue actually), but it won't apply :/
In the meantime I'm using a different video card, so this is not an
issue anymore.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)