Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
wrote about 'Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008':
>Popular packages in Ubuntu that are not in Debian "main"

[...]

>Many of tning packages many are multimedia related.

What exactly is this sentence saying? My brain can't parse it and I don't
think "tning" is a word.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM
"Richard Hartmann"

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 18:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:

>>Many of tning packages many are multimedia related.
>
> What exactly is this sentence saying? My brain can't parse it and I don't
> think "tning" is a word.

s/tning/those/

Richard

Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Richard Hartmann escreveu:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 18:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
> <bss03@volumehost.net> wrote
>>> Many of tning packages many are multimedia related.
>>>
>> What exactly is this sentence saying? My brain can't parse it and I don't
>> think "tning" is a word.
>>

> s/tning/those

Better, but there is still an extra "many" in the sentence.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

Richard Hartmann escreveu:

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 18:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote

Many of tning packages many are multimedia related.

What exactly is this sentence saying? My brain can't parse it and I don't
think "tning" is a word.

s/tning/those

Better, but there is still an extra "many" in the sentence.

My brain parsed it: "Today the thning went down again".

Hugo

Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
<eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote about 'Re: Debian Project News -
December 2nd, 2008':
>Richard Hartmann escreveu:
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 18:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
>> <bss03@volumehost.net> wrote

>>> What exactly is this sentence saying? My brain can't parse it and I
>>> don't think "tning" is a word.
>>
>> s/tning/those

So, "Many of those packages many are multimedia related."?

>Better, but there is still an extra "many" in the sentence.

So, "Many of those packages are multimedia related."? That makes some
sense. I wonder why they were dropped from Debian, is it not able to
participate in some of the Fluendo stuff or something else?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
wrote about 'Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008':
>Dependency based boot sequencing release goal completed
>
>Petter Reinholdtsen [12]announced that the release goal of supporting a
>dependency based boot sequence has been completed. This allows system
>services to be started in an order which is calculated from their
>dependencies on each other instead of a hardcoded order.
>
>*12: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/11/msg00007.html

The linked mail makes reference to the "insserv" package. Is that package
required to get a dependency-based boot sequence? Is that package
sufficent to get a dependency-base boot sequence?

I ask because I'd like to start testing it on both my desktop (Lenny) and
laptop (Etch[Base]/Etch-Backports/Lenny[Mostly]/Sid/Experimental[1]).

Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 PM
"Cassiano Leal"

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
> wrote about 'Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008':
>>Dependency based boot sequencing release goal completed
>>
>>Petter Reinholdtsen [12]announced that the release goal of supporting a
>>dependency based boot sequence has been completed. This allows system
>>services to be started in an order which is calculated from their
>>dependencies on each other instead of a hardcoded order.
>>
>> 12: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/11/msg00007.html
>
> The linked mail makes reference to the "insserv" package. Is that package
> required to get a dependency-based boot sequence? Is that package
> sufficent to get a dependency-base boot sequence?
>
> I ask because I'd like to start testing it on both my desktop (Lenny) and
> laptop (Etch[Base]/Etch-Backports/Lenny[Mostly]/Sid/Experimental[1]).

I am currently using insserv in my work laptop and it works perfectly
here. I haven't measured before / after boot times, but the difference
is perceivable. I reckon it boots now at most in half the time it used
to.

Just follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/insserv/README.Debian
and you're off (they're just two commands anyway).

Cheers and thanks to all debian devs for bringing us such a great OS.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,02.Dec.08, 12:34:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> The linked mail makes reference to the "insserv" package. Is that package
> required to get a dependency-based boot sequence? Is that package
> sufficent to get a dependency-base boot sequence?
>
> I ask because I'd like to start testing it on both my desktop (Lenny) and
> laptop (Etch[Base]/Etch-Backports/Lenny[Mostly]/Sid/Experimental[1]).

I wouldn't recommend trying it on anything earlier than Lenny, some of
the necessary info in the initscripts may be missing. OTOH I think
insserv will warn about this.

Additionally you might want to try using dash as /bin/sh
(dpkg-reconfigure dash).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Holger Levsen

Hi,

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 17:21, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> used. However, the kernel used for the installed system remains
> unchanged at version 2.6.24. In some cases this can mean that hardware
> which is supported during the installation does not work after the
> reboot into the installed system because support for it was added after
> the 2.6.24 version.

This (some hw works during installation but not later) can be easily solved:
by installing 2.6.26 from backports.org :-)

Can someone please add this info to "Limitations:" section on
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/etchnhalf ?!

Also it would be nice if that page could state what the right contract address
for it is, I assume it's not debian-www.

regards,
Holger

Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
wrote about 'Re: Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008':
>On Tue,02.Dec.08, 12:34:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> The linked mail makes reference to the "insserv" package. Is that
>> package required to get a dependency-based boot sequence? Is that
>> package sufficent to get a dependency-base boot sequence?
>>
>> I ask because I'd like to start testing it on both my desktop (Lenny)
>> and laptop
>> (Etch[Base]/Etch-Backports/Lenny[Mostly]/Sid/Experimental[1]).
>
>I wouldn't recommend trying it on anything earlier than Lenny, some of
>the necessary info in the initscripts may be missing. OTOH I think
>insserv will warn about this.

If I run into any such warnings, I can "just" upgrade the package to Lenny,
which is fine. If that fails to fix the problem, I know where the BTS
receives mail.

>Additionally you might want to try using dash as /bin/sh
>(dpkg-reconfigure dash).

Actually, I've been doing that for.. a while. I never got bit by any of
the bashism bugs. In any case, that was something I knew I could handle
fixing is I *did* run into a bug. I'm not as comfortable with
dependency-based init systems, but if the devs are calling it done I'm
willing to try it out.

I'm assuming the answer to both of the questions is "yes"? (Two *useful*
replies, but no definitive answers.)