Old 12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Osamu Aoki

Default apt-cache show and aptitude show report different dependencies - Why?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 08:14:12PM +0530, Amogh Hooshdar wrote:
> Why this difference? Why two blocks of output for the same package in
> apt-cache show. I have included the full outputs of both the tools
> below.

Because you have 2 apt line for binary package (testing and unstable or
so).

aptitude show shows latest package info. apt-cache shows all available
version.

Osamu

Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 08:14:12PM +0530, Amogh Hooshdar <amoghhooshdar@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Why this difference? Why two blocks of output for the same package in
> apt-cache show. I have included the full outputs of both the tools
> below.

aptitude only shows the current/latest version of the package by
default; pass -v to see all versions. apt-cache shows all available
versions, or maybe some subset of them -- I'm not sure.

Daniel