Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Paul Cartwright

Default how to redo networking on bootup

I think something is wrong with my system. It started a few weeks ago, when,
on a reboot, my NVIDIA driver didn't work, so X didn't start(or is it X
wouldn't start because I had no network..). I think somehow these are
related, but I don't know how.

anyway, I just changed DSL providers, and in rebooting to get it setup, I am
noticing that my network doesn't come up clean any more, now I have to
restart networking, then do ifup eth0 to get back on the network.
How can I get it back TO NORMAL..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 12-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Bo Simonsen

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 06:43:48AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I think something is wrong with my system. It started a few weeks ago, when,
> on a reboot, my NVIDIA driver didn't work, so X didn't start(or is it X
> wouldn't start because I had no network..). I think somehow these are
> related, but I don't know how.

localhost is present in your /etc/hosts file?

What does your /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?

Bo Simonsen Homepage: http://bo.geekworld.dk
Datamatiker, B.Sc, stud.scient E-Mail: bo@geekworld.dk

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 06:43:48AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I think something is wrong with my system. It started a few weeks ago, when,
> on a reboot, my NVIDIA driver didn't work, so X didn't start(or is it X
> wouldn't start because I had no network..). I think somehow these are
> related, but I don't know how.
>
> anyway, I just changed DSL providers, and in rebooting to get it setup, I am
> noticing that my network doesn't come up clean any more, now I have to
> restart networking, then do ifup eth0 to get back on the network.
> How can I get it back TO NORMAL..

Give us your /etc/apt/sources.list

How do you normally configure your network? Do you use the standard
debian /etc/networking stuff or are you using some DTE network manager?
I would imagine that if your network is controlled by your DTE that it
wouldn't function if X didn't work. This is why I can only imagine
since I would never take that risk; without networking, how could I
email for help?

What error messages are you getting?

If X doesn't start, what do you get?

Since X will work on an isolated box, you don't need an external network
to run X. It may need the lo interface but since I've never run without
lo, I wouldn't know.

Doug.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat December 15 2007, Bo Simonsen wrote:
> localhost is present in your /etc/hosts file?
hm.. I have 2 lines, and the second one is now wrong... I just switched DSL
providers, and I no longer have bellsouth..
here's what it USED to be:
cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 paulandcilla.bellsouth.net

( now I commented out the 2nd line)

> What does your /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?

well, I finally got frustrated enough to retry the nvidia driver install..
ran
# export CC=gcc-4.1
# /etc/init.d/kdm stop
# sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

# /etc/init.d/kdm restart
black screen
#init 6
now it works..
I have to run this 2 or 3 times sometimes for it to work.. not sure why it
doesn't the first time, every time, but it doesnt.

so, for now everything is working.. again..

so, now I am running lenny, and nvidia breaks more often, and envy isn't
supported in lenny. If I wanted to return to the stability of etch ( where
envy is supported) is there an EASY way?? using aptitude??