-   -   How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 error in name resolution for AAAA type queries (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/20040-how-disable-ipv6-lenny-avoid-1-0-0-0-error-name-resolution-aaaa-type-queries.html)

Thilo Six 12-15-2007 10:42 AM

How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 error in name resolution for AAAA type queries

Amogh Hooshdar wrote the following on 15.12.2007 07:58

</snip>

> I changed the "alias net-pf-10 ipv6" line to the following two lines.
>
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off
>
> After rebooting, I checked: lsmod | grep ipv6. Sure enough it is gone
> and the command gives nil output. But when I use bitchx or pidgin to
> connect to irc.freenode.net, I can still see DNS AAAA irc.freenode.net
> type of queries.As a result our DNS server that doesn't understand
> ipv6 returns 1.0.0.0 as the address and the clients don't work.

</snip>

> Please help me to disable ipv6 completely.

<--------------- /etc/hosts ---------------

#::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
#fe00::0 ip6-localnet
#ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
#ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
#ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
#ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
--------------------------------------------->

for nameresolution /etc/hosts is read then /etc/resolv.conf .

HTH
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

"Amogh Hooshdar" 12-15-2007 12:10 PM

How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 error in name resolution for AAAA type queries

Thank you for response. But it did not help. I commented out all the
ip6 lines in /etc/hosts and then even rebooted the box.

Now see a sample output for aptitude update:-

# aptitude update
0% [Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org (1.0.0.0)] [Connecting to security.debian.or

I observed it with wireshark and the DNS queries and responses are like this:-

DNS Standard query AAAA ftp.us.debian.org
DNS Standard query response [Malformed packet]
DNS Standrd query A ftp.us.debian.org
DNS Standard query response A 1.0.0.0

ipv6 doesn't seem to have been disabled because the DNS AAAA type
queries are still going out. Please help me to disable ipv6
completely.

Thilo Six 12-15-2007 01:08 PM

How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 error in name resolution for AAAA type queries

Amogh Hooshdar wrote the following on 15.12.2007 14:10
> Thank you for response. But it did not help. I commented out all the
> ip6 lines in /etc/hosts and then even rebooted the box.
>
> Now see a sample output for aptitude update:-
>
> # aptitude update
> 0% [Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org (1.0.0.0)] [Connecting to security.debian.or
>
> I observed it with wireshark and the DNS queries and responses are like this:-
>
> DNS Standard query AAAA ftp.us.debian.org
> DNS Standard query response [Malformed packet]
> DNS Standrd query A ftp.us.debian.org
> DNS Standard query response A 1.0.0.0
>
> ipv6 doesn't seem to have been disabled because the DNS AAAA type
> queries are still going out. Please help me to disable ipv6
> completely.

are yo using KDE?

<-------- grep IP /etc/environment --------

KDE_NO_IPV6=1
--------------------------------------------->

basically i do not understand how the machine can still do ipv6 when there is
no kernel modul loaded. ?

Have you got resolvconf or any local dns[proxy|cache] installed?

I just found there is also a list especial for ipv6:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ipv6/

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Mike Bird 12-15-2007 02:12 PM

On Saturday 15 December 2007 05:10:01 Amogh Hooshdar wrote:
> I observed it with wireshark and the DNS queries and responses are like
> this:-
>
> DNS Standard query AAAA ftp.us.debian.org
> DNS Standard query response [Malformed packet]
> DNS Standrd query A ftp.us.debian.org
> DNS Standard query response A 1.0.0.0
>
> ipv6 doesn't seem to have been disabled because the DNS AAAA type
> queries are still going out. Please help me to disable ipv6
> completely.

We recently ran into a similar problem. IPv6 has long been
successfully black-listed but for a few days we were unable
to use Etch to download a Debian Testing CD from the torrent
because btdownloadcurses saw the bttracker.acc.umu.se AAAA
record and died on something like "no route to host" without
ever trying the A record.

bttracker.acc.umu.se now (seems to) always return the A
record before the AAAA record and btdownloadcurses works
once more.

FWIW, we do not have "options ipv6" in resolv.conf, but I
don't see a way to say something like "options no-ipv6".

--Mike Bird