-   -   kernel headers and vmware (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/200-kernel-headers-vmware.html)

Steve Kleene 11-18-2007 12:30 PM

kernel headers and vmware

This machine is running Etch 2.6.18-5-686. For some time, "apt upgrade" has
been holding back linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6. I just installed it anyway.
I rebooted, and the only problem I see so far is that I can't get vmware
rebuilt. But first:

1. Was it a mistake to install linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6?
2. If so, can I just uninstall it without causing havoc?

If the answer is "leave it installed", I can get back to the vmware issue.
I have installed vmware with no problems with the any-any-update on three
previous machines but am stuck now.

Thanks.

Raj Kiran Grandhi 11-18-2007 12:45 PM

kernel headers and vmware

Steve Kleene wrote:

This machine is running Etch 2.6.18-5-686. For some time, "apt upgrade" has
been holding back linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6. I just installed it anyway.
I rebooted, and the only problem I see so far is that I can't get vmware
rebuilt. But first:

1. Was it a mistake to install linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6?
2. If so, can I just uninstall it without causing havoc?

I always use apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`. This will install
the headers for the running kernel. If you always boot into the same
kernel, then you can safely remove the other linux-image and
linux-headers packages.

If the answer is "leave it installed", I can get back to the vmware issue.
I have installed vmware with no problems with the any-any-update on three
previous machines but am stuck now.

Which version of vmware are you using? The recent version no longer
needs the any-any update.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Steve Kleene 11-18-2007 01:09 PM

kernel headers and vmware

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:30:16 -0500, I wrote:

> This machine is running Etch 2.6.18-5-686. For some time, "apt upgrade" has
> been holding back linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6. I just installed it anyway.
> I rebooted, and the only problem I see so far is that I can't get vmware
> rebuilt.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:15:44 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi replied:

> I always use apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`.

I did this and rebooted, and vmware is still unhappy.

> Which version of vmware are you using? The recent version no longer
> needs the any-any update.

The machine in question has VMware Server 1.0.2 (2/28/07) build 39867. I've
been meaning to install a newer version but want to make sure that I won't
have to also rebuild the virtual XP machine, which was a terror to get right.
But I'm pretty sure I can leave that in place.

Thanks.

Steve Kleene 11-18-2007 06:00 PM

kernel headers and vmware

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:30:16 -0500, I wrote:
> This machine is running Etch 2.6.18-5-686. For some time, "apt upgrade" has
> been holding back linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6. I just installed it anyway.
> I rebooted, and the only problem I see so far is that I can't get vmware
> rebuilt.

I have vmware working again. I uninstalled all of the old linux-headers,
reinstalled the one that matches my kernel, and then also had to install the
g++ package. I don't know if every bit of this was necessary, but it worked.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-19-2007 07:14 PM

kernel headers and vmware

Steve Kleene wrote:

This machine is running Etch 2.6.18-5-686. For some time, "apt upgrade" has
been holding back linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6. I just installed it anyway.
I rebooted, and the only problem I see so far is that I can't get vmware
rebuilt.

I have vmware working again. I uninstalled all of the old linux-headers,
reinstalled the one that matches my kernel, and then also had to install the
g++ package. I don't know if every bit of this was necessary, but it worked.

And did you use build 39867?

Hugo

Steve Kleene 11-19-2007 07:46 PM

kernel headers and vmware

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:00:36 -0500, I wrote:
> I have vmware working again. I uninstalled all of the old linux-headers,
> reinstalled the one that matches my kernel, and then also had to install the
> g++ package. I don't know if every bit of this was necessary, but it worked.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:14:24 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom asked:
> And did you use build 39867?

Yes, I used 39867, the same build I've always had on that machine. I had the
headers that matched my kernel (2.6.18-5) the whole time, but after I also
added linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6, vmware thought it was no longer
correctly configured. Once I added g++ (to get cc1plus), vmware made its
modules again and was happy. (Originally it had done that even without g++.)

I may upgrade VMware Server soon, but I wanted to make sure that I could at
least get 39867 working first.

Thanks.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-19-2007 09:25 PM

kernel headers and vmware

Steve Kleene wrote:

I have vmware working again. I uninstalled all of the old linux-headers,
reinstalled the one that matches my kernel, and then also had to install the
g++ package. I don't know if every bit of this was necessary, but it worked.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:14:24 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom asked:

And did you use build 39867?

Yes, I used 39867, the same build I've always had on that machine. I had the
headers that matched my kernel (2.6.18-5) the whole time, but after I also
added linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6, vmware thought it was no longer
correctly configured. Once I added g++ (to get cc1plus), vmware made its
modules again and was happy. (Originally it had done that even without g++.)

I may upgrade VMware Server soon, but I wanted to make sure that I could at
least get 39867 working first.

I use VMware Server 56528 and am quite happy with it.
Wished I could start vmware + XP without the intervening prompts of the
vmserver-console.

Hugo

Steve Kleene 11-20-2007 12:54 AM

kernel headers and vmware

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:25:58 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> I use VMware Server 56528 and am quite happy with it.
> Wished I could start vmware + XP without the intervening prompts of the
> vmserver-console.

I've been very happy with 39867 except that the moment my USB scanner starts
to scan, it crashes the whole virtual XP machine. The manual indicates that
the behavior with USB scanners is unpredictable.

Nate Duehr 11-20-2007 04:24 AM

kernel headers and vmware

I use VMware Server 56528 and am quite happy with it.
Wished I could start vmware + XP without the intervening prompts of
the

vmserver-console.

I've been very happy with 39867 except that the moment my USB
scanner starts
to scan, it crashes the whole virtual XP machine. The manual
indicates that

the behavior with USB scanners is unpredictable.

Engineering = "If you plug USB scanners in, sometimes it blows up.
Don't ship yet."
Marketing = "Put 'Behavior with USB scanners is unpredictable.' in the
Readme and ship that crap. I need a new Porsche."

:-)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com