FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Wayne Topa
 
Default printing a scanned document

Hugo Vanwoerkom(hvw59601@care2.com) is reported to have said:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
<--<snip>-->

>
> Thanks guys.
> I did not want to install Gimp: too many notes...
>
> convert did not do the job, who knows why.
>
> But using oo writer and inserting the jpeg image somehow expanded it to
> page size and it printed as such.

Glad you worked it out, and thanks for the Tip about OO.

Your right, OO does it much easier then the Gimp!!

W

--
MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software is Only
for Fools and Teenagers.
__________________________________________________ _____


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default printing a scanned document

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:13:05AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:40:57 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> said:
>
> > Hi, I was sent a scanned document, it was a .jpeg file. So I
> > downloaded the .jpeg and used display to view it. Then I printed it,
> > but it was about 1/2 the size of a sheet of paper and hard to read.
>
> > So I used display to resize it 150% and sharpen the image. That
> > worked OK *viewing* it but it *prints* still the same small image.
> > How do I make it print a larger image that is sharpened?
>
> Well, how about using convert?
> convert -resize geometry old.png tmp.png
> convert -sharpen geometry tmp.png new.png
>
> Look at the documentation online; convert has a lot of options
> which could be useful.

imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people can
live without it. Compare the ease of resizing a batch of images and
producing thumbnails using convert versus the same job in any of the
clicky gui programs. Simply amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love the
Gimp, but you can't beat convert for so many things.

A
 
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Dan H
 
Default printing a scanned document

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:57:58 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
> many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
> powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people
> can live without it.

I can live without it, but only because I use netpbm. I like the modular approach better than the monolithic imagemagick stuff, but that's just a matter of taste. I guess in functionality there isn't much difference.

As far as printing a single document in a proper size is concerned I'd do it with the Gimp.

--D.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default printing a scanned document

Wayne Topa wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom(hvw59601@care2.com) is reported to have said:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

<--<snip>-->


Thanks guys.
I did not want to install Gimp: too many notes...

convert did not do the job, who knows why.

But using oo writer and inserting the jpeg image somehow expanded it to
page size and it printed as such.


Glad you worked it out, and thanks for the Tip about OO.

Your right, OO does it much easier then the Gimp!!



Simpler yet: open the image file in iceweasel and print the page: it
automatically makes it larger or smaller to fit the page.


Thanks to everybody for the replies.

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Andrew Sackville-West
 
Default printing a scanned document

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 01:24:12PM +0100, Dan H wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:57:58 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
> > many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
> > powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people
> > can live without it.
>
> I can live without it, but only because I use netpbm.

thanks for the pointer!

A
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org