-   -   printing a scanned document (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/2-printing-scanned-document.html)

Wayne Topa 11-16-2007 12:38 AM

Hugo Vanwoerkom(hvw59601@care2.com) is reported to have said:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
<--<snip>-->

> Thanks guys.
> I did not want to install Gimp: too many notes...
>
> convert did not do the job, who knows why.
>
> But using oo writer and inserting the jpeg image somehow expanded it to
> page size and it printed as such.

Glad you worked it out, and thanks for the Tip about OO.

Your right, OO does it much easier then the Gimp!!

MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software is Only
for Fools and Teenagers.

Andrew Sackville-West 11-16-2007 04:57 AM

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:13:05AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:40:57 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> said:
>
> > Hi, I was sent a scanned document, it was a .jpeg file. So I
> > downloaded the .jpeg and used display to view it. Then I printed it,
> > but it was about 1/2 the size of a sheet of paper and hard to read.
>
> > So I used display to resize it 150% and sharpen the image. That
> > worked OK *viewing* it but it *prints* still the same small image.
> > How do I make it print a larger image that is sharpened?
>
> Well, how about using convert?
> convert -resize geometry old.png tmp.png
> convert -sharpen geometry tmp.png new.png
>
> Look at the documentation online; convert has a lot of options
> which could be useful.

imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people can
live without it. Compare the ease of resizing a batch of images and
producing thumbnails using convert versus the same job in any of the
clicky gui programs. Simply amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love the
Gimp, but you can't beat convert for so many things. :)

Dan H 11-16-2007 11:24 AM

printing a scanned document

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:57:58 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
> many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
> powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people
> can live without it.

I can live without it, but only because I use netpbm. I like the modular approach better than the monolithic imagemagick stuff, but that's just a matter of taste. I guess in functionality there isn't much difference.

As far as printing a single document in a proper size is concerned I'd do it with the Gimp.

--D.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-16-2007 02:49 PM

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

<--<snip>-->

Thanks guys.
I did not want to install Gimp: too many notes...

convert did not do the job, who knows why.

But using oo writer and inserting the jpeg image somehow expanded it to
page size and it printed as such.

Glad you worked it out, and thanks for the Tip about OO.

Your right, OO does it much easier then the Gimp!!

Simpler yet: open the image file in iceweasel and print the page: it
automatically makes it larger or smaller to fit the page.

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

Hugo

Andrew Sackville-West 11-16-2007 05:58 PM

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 01:24:12PM +0100, Dan H wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:57:58 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > imagemagick is one of those secret programs that people outside (and
> > many inside) the linux world just don't know about, yet its so
> > powerful, easy to use (scriptable!!) that I don't know how people
> > can live without it.
>
> I can live without it, but only because I use netpbm.

thanks for the pointer!