Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 AM
"Amogh Hooshdar"

Default How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 error in name resolution for AAAA type queries

I am using Debian Lenny.

$ uname -a
Linux mylappy 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Wed May 9 22:23:40 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

I changed the "alias net-pf-10 ipv6" line to the following two lines.

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

After rebooting, I checked: lsmod | grep ipv6. Sure enough it is gone
and the command gives nil output. But when I use bitchx or pidgin to
connect to irc.freenode.net, I can still see DNS AAAA irc.freenode.net
type of queries.As a result our DNS server that doesn't understand
ipv6 returns 1.0.0.0 as the address and the clients don't work.

First I tried making these changes /etc/modprobe.d/aliases - Result:
problem persists (Yes, I did reboot after the changes)

Next, I tried adding the two alias off lines in
/etc/modeprobe.d/00local - Result: problem persists.

Finally, I added the line "blacklist ipv6" towards the top (5th line)
of /etc/modeprobe.d/blacklist - Result: still the problem persists.

I have succeeded to make Iceweasel work by setting
network.dns.disableIPv6=true in about:config. But I need a OS-wide
solution so that all my network apps do not send ipv6 DNS AAAA type
requests and they work successfully.

Please help me to disable ipv6 completely.