Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Mitja Podreka

Default Cannot install skype

Dotan Cohen wrote:

I cannot install skype:

myhome:/home/zeev# dpkg -i skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 65303 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace skype 1.4.0.118-1 (using skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement skype ...
dpkg: error processing skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb (--install):
package control info rmdir of `usr' didn't say not a dir: Directory not empty
skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb

Do I need to remove a directory? Which one? Thanks in advance.

Maybe you should try Skype repository:

deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

apt-get easy

Regards,

Mitja

Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Dan H

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:47:39 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot install skype:

> dpkg: error processing skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb (--install):
> package control info rmdir of `usr' didn't say not a dir:
> Directory not empty Errors were encountered while processing:
> skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb
>
> Do I need to remove a directory? Which one? Thanks in advance.

This is what I think happened: During uninstalling a package, dpkg first removes all files that belong to that package and then all package-related directories. If one of those dirs isn't empty now, it means that since the original install some files have been added to one of the directories. Dpkg assumes that you had some good reasons to put those files there and therefore doesn't want to silently purge them with the directory.

Anyway, it's no big deal. Use "locate skype" to find all Skype-related dirs (assuming they all have "skype" in their name) and rm -r them by hand. Then try installing the new package.

Maybe there's some advanced, brute-force and possibly dangerous option to dpkg that forces an install. Just wait a bit for more suggestions on this list.

--D.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 14/12/2007, Mitja Podreka <mojdebian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you should try Skype repository:
> deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable
> non-free
>

> apt-get easy

It would be nice if that info were on the skype download page! Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 04:31:01PM +0100, Dan H wrote:

> Maybe there's some advanced, brute-force and possibly dangerous option
> to dpkg that forces an install. Just wait a bit for more suggestions
> on this list.

'dpkg --force-help' has more info.

Regards,
Andrei