Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Lamar Owen

Default data recovery

On Friday, September 23, 2011 03:59:17 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> If it's a production box in service, and this has
> happened to it, How can it still be running?

It's not the boot or root drive.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, September 23, 2011 03:44:58 PM Paras pradhan wrote:
> Thanks for your detailed suggestion. Yes thats a GPT .. the o/p is from parted.

Is this a removable or some sort, like USB, firewire, eSATA, hot-plug SCSI, Fibre-channel, or SAS? Could it have been taken out to another machine at any time?

What kind of interfaces have sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd attached, and what kind of interface is attached to sde?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM
John R Pierce

> Paras pradhan wrote:
>> > Here is o/p John
>> >
>> > Number Start End Size File system Name
>> > Flags
>> > 1 17.4kB 134MB 134MB Microsoft reserved
>> > partition msftres
>> > 2 135MB 134GB 134GB ntfs Basic data partition
>> > 3 134GB 1100GB 965GB Basic data partition
> <snip>
> Looks to me as though someone started to install Windows on top of your
> box. This isn't partition data magically changed - best guess is someone
> started, then stopped, realizing it was the wrong box they were working
> on.

ay-yup, thats EXACTLY what it looks like. a NEWER version of Windows
at that.

Weird how they got disk sde and not sda but I've seen Windows having a
completely different idea of which device was '0' than Linux before...

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Paras pradhan

This is a SAN drive mounted. I have checked with my storage
administrator if this has been re mapped or any similar events and he
verified that nothing has happened...(I trust him)

Here is one thing I have found.

I dd the 1st 134MB partition to an image. and opened it with the hex
editor. After that I can verify that this is the same device and was
able to read the hostname, VGname etc etc.

And AFAIK it is impossible to reshape or change the disk's geomerty to
its original shape of anything without use intervention. This is
really a mystery.

Thanks
Paras.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Paras pradhan

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

>> <snip>
>> Looks to me as though someone started to install Windows on top of your
>> box. This isn't partition data magically changed - best guess is someone
>> started, then stopped, realizing it was the wrong box they were working
>> on.
>
> ay-yup, thats EXACTLY what it looks like. * a NEWER version of Windows
> at that.

You mean the newer windows will create the partition schema as we are
seeing it now? And you think its the automatic partitioning by windows
if somebody has the access to this?

Thanks
Paras.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Paras pradhan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>> Looks to me as though someone started to install Windows on top of your
>>> box. This isn't partition data magically changed - best guess is
>>> someone started, then stopped, realizing it was the wrong box they
>>> were working on.
>>
>> ay-yup, thats EXACTLY what it looks like. * a NEWER version of Windows
>> at that.
>
> You mean the newer windows will create the partition schema as we are
> seeing it now? And you think its the automatic partitioning by windows
> if somebody has the access to this?
<snip>
That's what we're thinking.

mark

Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Craig White

On Sep 23, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>> Looks to me as though someone started to install Windows on top of your
>>> box. This isn't partition data magically changed - best guess is someone
>>> started, then stopped, realizing it was the wrong box they were working
>>> on.
>>
>> ay-yup, thats EXACTLY what it looks like. a NEWER version of Windows
>> at that.
>>

> You mean the newer windows will create the partition schema as we are
> seeing it now? And you think its the automatic partitioning by windows
> if somebody has the access to this?
----
Seems possible to me that those partitions have been there all along and no one actually noticed them

Craig

Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM
John R Pierce

On 09/23/11 1:32 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
> You mean the newer windows will create the partition schema as we are
> seeing it now? And you think its the automatic partitioning by windows
> if somebody has the access to this?

i just noticed that 3rd partition is 1.1TB. you had said...

> Suddenly my disk device's geometry has been changed to something that
> doesnot make any sense. Its a 1.8TB in size and had only one single
> partition. Now I can see 3 partitions sde1, sde2 and sde2 of sizes
> 130M, 140GB and 10GB.

even odder. anyways, the reason I suggested a 'newer version' of
windows, is I believe starting with Windows Vista and Server 2008, the
windows installer creates a small hidden partition for the boot stuff.
The fact that the 2nd partition is tagged as NTFS is why we suggested
Windows at all.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Paras pradhan

opps thats a typo.. the 3rd partition is yes 1.1TB and not 10GB. sorry.

Paras.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 AM
"Michel Donais"

Two weeks ago I've been in similar situation on an 80 gig sata drive.

Found it with 8 partition; boot was there but nothing of the operating
system to load Linux 5.6

My recovery solution was to put the disk on a window system as a secondary
drive. Just connected to read data
For reading I found a software called ' nucleus kernel linux' from
http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/Linux-Data-Recovery-Software.html

On partition 3 I found nearly all my data files and their directories but
were missiing /etc /bin /dev ....

Hope this help.

---
Michel Donais