Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Rico Secada

Default Getting segmentation faults with glxinfo, mplayer and others

Hi.

I am running Debian stable.

Suddenly when I run mplayer, xine, xmms, glxinfo and other I get
segmentation fault.

I have tried running both with and with Nvidia drivers.

I have run a memtest without any errors.

What can be causing this?

Best regards.

Rico.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Rico Secada

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:39:11 +0100
Can someone please explain why doing this:

touch /etc/ld.so.nohwcap

Solves the problem?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
"Sergio Cuéllar Valdés"

2007/12/13, Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk>:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:39:11 +0100
> Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
>
> Solution found!
>
> Can someone please explain why doing this:
>
> touch /etc/ld.so.nohwcap
>
> Solves the problem?
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am running Debian stable.
> >
> > Suddenly when I run mplayer, xine, xmms, glxinfo and other I get
> > segmentation fault.
> >
> > I have tried running both with and with Nvidia drivers.
> >
> > I have run a memtest without any errors.
> >
> > What can be causing this?

Hello,

weird situation, I dont know why works with that solution.

But you can try to "debug" your problem, executing that programs with strace.

$ strace xmms

Best regards,
Sergio Cuellar

--
"Meine Hoffnung soll mich leiten
Durch die Tage ohne Dich

Old 12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Bill O'Connor

Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> writes:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:39:11 +0100
> Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
>
> Solution found!
>
> Can someone please explain why doing this:
>
> touch /etc/ld.so.nohwcap
>
> Solves the problem?

Well, that causes the dynamic linker to use the non-optimized version
of a library, whether or not you have an optimized one. Were the
optimized version working before?

--
Billy O'Connor

Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Rico Secada

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:57:16 -0600
"Sergio Cuéllar Valdés" <herrsergio@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/13, Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk>:
> > On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:39:11 +0100
> > Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:
> >
> > Solution found!
> >
> > Can someone please explain why doing this:
> >
> > touch /etc/ld.so.nohwcap
> >
> > Solves the problem?
> >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I am running Debian stable.
> > >
> > > Suddenly when I run mplayer, xine, xmms, glxinfo and other I get
> > > segmentation fault.
> > >
> > > I have tried running both with and with Nvidia drivers.
> > >
> > > I have run a memtest without any errors.
> > >
> > > What can be causing this?
>
> Hello,
>
> weird situation, I dont know why works with that solution.
>
> But you can try to "debug" your problem, executing that programs with
> strace.
>
> $ strace xmms

Undoing the solution and then using strave with xmms or mplayer or vlc
gives this output error:

access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)