Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Felix Karpfen

Default Using exim as SMTP-AUTH client

I have located the following relevant info in

"/usr/share/doc/exim4-config/README.Debian.gz":

If you want to set up exim as SMTP AUTH client for delivery to your
internet access provider's smarthost put the name of the server, your
login and password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client. See the man page for
exim4-config_files(5) for more information about the required format.

This works well for emails sent via my ISP. But I also have a "gmail"
account (as a fallback - in case my ISP bombs out).

_My_ ISP does not require SMTP-AUTH; the ISP used by one of my regular
correspondents will not accept emails that do not have it. GMail offers
relevant info on using "GMail + procmail"; nothing on using "GMail +
exim4".

My question is:

Are there any problems with having more than one entry in my
"etc/exim4/passwd.client" file?

All advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Celejar

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:24:14 +0000 (UTC)
Felix Karpfen <felixk@webone.com.au> wrote:

> I have located the following relevant info in
>
> "/usr/share/doc/exim4-config/README.Debian.gz":
>
> If you want to set up exim as SMTP AUTH client for delivery to your
> internet access provider's smarthost put the name of the server, your
> login and password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client. See the man page for
> exim4-config_files(5) for more information about the required format.
>
> This works well for emails sent via my ISP. But I also have a "gmail"
> account (as a fallback - in case my ISP bombs out).
>
> _My_ ISP does not require SMTP-AUTH; the ISP used by one of my regular
> correspondents will not accept emails that do not have it. GMail offers
> relevant info on using "GMail + procmail"; nothing on using "GMail +
> exim4".
>
> My question is:
>
> Are there any problems with having more than one entry in my
> "etc/exim4/passwd.client" file?

In priciple, no, but there may be gotchas having to do with DNS and
reverse DNS lookups. See the 'passwd.client' section of 'man
exim4-config_files'; read the manpage, and see this thread for an
account of some trouble I once had using exim with Gmail:

[That problem has been fixed, but that might give you a flavor of the
sort of trouble possible.]

> Felix Karpfen

Celejar

Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Felix Karpfen

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:49:09 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:24:14 +0000 (UTC)
> Felix Karpfen <felixk@webone.com.au> wrote:

>> Are there any problems with having more than one entry in my
>> "etc/exim4/passwd.client" file?
>

> see this thread for an account of some trouble I once had using exim
> with Gmail:

That reference helped a lot! My error message, when attempting to send
mail from my GMail account, was (from memory) virtually identical with
that quoted in the bug report.

Given that I have exim4/4.63-17, I may be lucky; the bug has been fixed.
I shall soon know if that was the problem; at least, I now know where to
look.

Many thanks

Felix

--