-   -   Postfix: local aliases vs virtual mailboxes (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/18948-postfix-local-aliases-vs-virtual-mailboxes.html)

Stephane Durieux 12-13-2007 03:55 PM

Postfix: local aliases vs virtual mailboxes

Hello,

As a newbie I need advices concerning Postfix accounts
method.
I am dithering between aliases to local system
accounts and virtual mailboxes.

I have only a domain to manage (so virtual mailboxes
are not mandatory, only an option)

But I need a good level of security

So :

- alias to local accounts with /bin/false for users in
/etc/passwd plus netfilter and pam restriction (ssh
...)

- virtual mailboxes

Thanks for reply

Allan Wind 12-13-2007 06:15 PM

On 2007-12-13T17:55:08+0100, Stephane Durieux wrote:
> But I need a good level of security
>
> So :
>
> - alias to local accounts with /bin/false for users in
> /etc/passwd plus netfilter and pam restriction (ssh
> ...)
>
> - virtual mailboxes

If you do not need the accounts then use virtual mailboxes, otherwise
use (plain) aliases.

I alias all system accounts to root, and root to user accounts for
administrators (i.e. me). On my personal work-station I also have a
virtual alias:

allan allan@vent

so mail send from this host to myself is delivered locally instead of
sent to my central mail server (replyhost).

/Allan