-   -   LPD and text-based printer (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/189445-lpd-text-based-printer.html)

Amit Uttamchandani 11-07-2008 03:13 PM

LPD and text-based printer

Is it possible to create an LPD printer that outputs to a text file? I
have created printers in CUPS before but it always has been a PDF
printer or a printer via SAMBA.

Basically I print out a bunch of text files but I want it to be printed
directly as text (not postcript). Well I guess if its postcript I can
always convert it to text using ps2text right?

I am using Debian Lenny.

Thanks for any help.

"Douglas A. Tutty" 11-09-2008 01:04 PM

LPD and text-based printer

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 08:13:33AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> Is it possible to create an LPD printer that outputs to a text file? I
> have created printers in CUPS before but it always has been a PDF
> printer or a printer via SAMBA.
>
> Basically I print out a bunch of text files but I want it to be printed
> directly as text (not postcript). Well I guess if its postcript I can
> always convert it to text using ps2text right?

Just to clarify, you want the output to go to a file, not send pure
ascii (text) directly to the printer without being turned into
postscript and run through ghostscript?

Here's the printcap on my print server box:

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See /etc/filter.ps, /etc/filter.pcl and
# the printcap(5) manual page for further details.
# rlp|Remote printer entry:
# :lp=:
# :rm=remotehost:
# :rp=remoteprinter:
# :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:
# :mx#0:
# :sh:
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
epson|epson;r=360x180;q=photo;c=mono;p=letter;m=au to:
:lp=/dev/lp0:
:if=/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/epson/log:
:af=/var/spool/lpd/epson/acct:
:mx#0:
:sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this

lp|raw|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:
:lp=/dev/lp0:
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
:af=/var/log/lp-acct:
:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
:pl#66:
:pw#80:
:pc#150:
:mx#0:
:sh:

I use standard LPD (no CUPS).

If I print to the epson printer queue, I get postscripted. If I print
to the raw, I get straight text sent to the printer. I haven't added
any smarts to prevent me from sending postscript/pdf to the raw printer.
Sometimes I'm not very smart and have to stop the print job.

Raw also worked on my old DeskJet, and on my old laser printer.

Doug.