Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Osamu Aoki

Default how to use squid as a Debian package proxy / cache (instead of approx, apt-cacher, etc)

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:06:29AM -0500, CSights wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Somewhere I got the idea of using Squid as a package cache instead of approx,
> apt-cacher, apt-proxy, etc. (E.g. [1]) That thread had some of the details
> needed, but it is missing some details. E.g. The settings that will allow
> the hard drive to spin down.

This is right one :-)
> One also needs to change apt's configuration file so that apt will use the
> Squid computer as a proxy. On each computer add to /etc/apt/apt.conf the
> line:
> Acquire::http::Proxy "http://SQUID_COMPUTER_IPORNAME:3128/";
>
> If anyone has improvements please add to this thread. Maybe we can add this
> to the Debian wiki?
> C.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/05/msg01761.html

have you looked /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz

// HTTP method configuration
http
{
Proxy "http://127.0.0.1:3128";
Proxy::http.us.debian.org "DIRECT"; // Specific per-host setting
Timeout "120";
Pipeline-Depth "5";

// Cache Control. Note these do not work with Squid 2.0.2
No-Cache "false";
Max-Age "86400"; // 1 Day age on index files
No-Store "false"; // Prevent the cache from storing archives
Dl-Limit "7"; // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate
};

I did not elaborate much at http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#proxyserverforapt

Wiki will be nice.

Osamu