Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
"M.Lewis"

Default Lenny install SATA+RAID1+LVM

I'm installing Lenny on a machine with a pair of 80GB SATA drives. I
want to do a RAID1 during the install. Apparently this is not possible
using the graphical install. Or else I have over looked it.

Is there a HOWTO somewhere describing this process? Google and searching
the archives have produced several articles, all of which were dated
back in 2005, or else they dealt with IDE hard drives.

Thanks for any pointers!
Mike

Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:40:04AM -0600, M.Lewis wrote:

> I'm installing Lenny on a machine with a pair of 80GB SATA drives. I
> want to do a RAID1 during the install. Apparently this is not possible
> using the graphical install. Or else I have over looked it.
>
> Is there a HOWTO somewhere describing this process? Google and searching
> the archives have produced several articles, all of which were dated
> back in 2005, or else they dealt with IDE hard drives.

I did it with the Etch installer but I've never used the graphical
install. Why not use the curses installer?

Doug.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
"Robert Caruso"

I have tried ceaselessly to be removed from this e-mail string. I have
unsuscribed several times. I have contacted all. I am at wit's end. Would
someone please help. Thanks.

Robert Caruso
President/Owner
Mitigation Online Consultants
818-501-1520 Main Office
818-501-1524 Direct Office
310-709-7157 Cell
310-997-3677 Fax
rob@mitigationonlineconsultants.com
www.mitigationonlineconsultants.com

Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
"Sam Kuper"

Dear Robert,

I have tried ceaselessly to be removed from this e-mail string. *I have

unsuscribed several times. *I have contacted all. *I am at wit's end. *Would

someone please help. *Thanks.
At the bottom of this message and every other message on the debian-user mailing list are simple instructions for unsubscribing. Follow them exactly, and you will receive no more messages from the list.*(The last time you tried to follow them, you misspelt "unsubscribe", so your attempt failed.)

Sam
*

listmaster@lists.debian.org

Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 PM
"M.Lewis"

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

I'm installing Lenny on a machine with a pair of 80GB SATA drives. I
want to do a RAID1 during the install. Apparently this is not possible
using the graphical install. Or else I have over looked it.

Is there a HOWTO somewhere describing this process? Google and searching
the archives have produced several articles, all of which were dated
back in 2005, or else they dealt with IDE hard drives.

I did it with the Etch installer but I've never used the graphical
install. Why not use the curses installer?

Doug.

The curses installer is fine. Still I need a HOWTO though.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:39:47AM -0600, M.Lewis wrote:

> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 04:40:04AM -0600, M.Lewis wrote:
> >>I'm installing Lenny on a machine with a pair of 80GB SATA drives. I
> >>want to do a RAID1 during the install. Apparently this is not possible
> >>using the graphical install. Or else I have over looked it.
> >>
> >>Is there a HOWTO somewhere describing this process? Google and searching
> >>the archives have produced several articles, all of which were dated
> >>back in 2005, or else they dealt with IDE hard drives.
> >>

> >I did it with the Etch installer but I've never used the graphical
> >install. Why not use the curses installer?
> >
> The curses installer is fine. Still I need a HOWTO though.

Have you printed out the installation manual (the whole thing, not the
short instructions)?

In the partitioner section, you first make the raw partitions you want,
then when you mark what to use those partitions for, you say that they
are physical devices for raid1 (I'm going from memory here). Then you
configure the md (raid) devices. I'd suggest that you just have the two
raid1 partitions and put LVM over top of that. On Etch, grub couldn't
boot from LVM so you needed a small raid1 to mount as /boot with
everything else in a larger raid1 with LVM over top.

If you go the LVM root, you mark the md1 (assuming md0 is raid1 for
/boot) as physical device for LVM. Then you configure LVM and create
the logical volumes you need (e.g. /, /home, /var, /usr, swap). Of
course if you want any of that encrypted (e.g. /tmp, swap, /home) you
can do that too.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Doug.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 AM
"M.Lewis"

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

[...]

Yes it does help some Doug. Thank you. It's a start.

No, I didn't print out the instructions, but I have read through the
part in the installation manual. Maybe there's a section I missed. I'll
check again.

Thanks for the kickstart!

Mike

Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 07 November 2008 17:23, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Etch, grub couldn't
> boot from LVM

Is this changed or changing in Lenny or Sid?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. * * * * * * * * * * ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net * * * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:50:11PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2008 17:23, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Etch, grub couldn't
> > boot from LVM
>
> Is this changed or changing in Lenny or Sid?

Don't know. Having a 64 MB /boot partition/filesystem not part of LVM
really doesn't cause any problem. It also keeps it right at the
beginning of the drive (in case that matters to your bios).

Doug.