Old 11-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Alan Ianson

Default Sound in the Unreal games

Hi All,

I'm running lenny amd64 and for the past couple weeks (that I noticed) I have
no sound in the unreal games (ut-goty, ut2003 and ut2004). I haven't changed
anything that I am aware of.

I see this in ~/.xsession-errors but I don't know what it means.

"open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory"

Any help appreciated.

Please CC me since I'm not subscribed to the list.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 AM
lee

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 19:56:42 -0800
Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm running lenny amd64 and for the past couple weeks (that I
> noticed) I have no sound in the unreal games (ut-goty, ut2003 and
> ut2004). I haven't changed anything that I am aware of.
>
> I see this in ~/.xsession-errors but I don't know what it means.
>
> "open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory"

Try modprobe snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Alan Ianson

On Thu November 6 2008 09:01:51 pm lee wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 19:56:42 -0800
>
> Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm running lenny amd64 and for the past couple weeks (that I
> > noticed) I have no sound in the unreal games (ut-goty, ut2003 and
> > ut2004). I haven't changed anything that I am aware of.
> >
> > I see this in ~/.xsession-errors but I don't know what it means.
> >
> > "open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory"
>
> Try modprobe snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss.

That did it, thanks..

Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-11-07 04:56 +0100, Alan Ianson wrote:

> I'm running lenny amd64 and for the past couple weeks (that I noticed) I have
> no sound in the unreal games (ut-goty, ut2003 and ut2004). I haven't changed
> anything that I am aware of.
>
> I see this in ~/.xsession-errors but I don't know what it means.
>
> "open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory"

That is supposed to be cured by installing the oss-compat package.
However, it may be necessary to put the oss modules into /etc/modules
manually, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=500460.

Sven

Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Alan Ianson

On Thu November 6 2008 11:50:07 pm Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-11-07 04:56 +0100, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > I'm running lenny amd64 and for the past couple weeks (that I noticed) I
> > have no sound in the unreal games (ut-goty, ut2003 and ut2004). I haven't
> > changed anything that I am aware of.
> >
> > I see this in ~/.xsession-errors but I don't know what it means.
> >
> > "open /dev/[sound/]dsp: No such file or directory"
>
> That is supposed to be cured by installing the oss-compat package.
> However, it may be necessary to put the oss modules into /etc/modules
> manually, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=500460.

I did add the oss modules to /etc/modules so my sound is working as expected.
I hope a solution can be found so alsa-base works with oss-compat.