Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 AM
"J.H.Kim"

Default Who does makes USB dev files ?

Hi, everyone

I'm looking for routines which make dev files (for example, /dev/usb/lp0
for usb printer) of USB character devices.

Is it udev or kernel driver module?

If it is udev, how does it determine the major and minor number of the
device?

The uevent message from kernel for usb printer seems not to include the
information on the major and minor numbers.

Captured uevent message for usb printer was like this :
ACTION=add
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0
SUBSYSTEM=usb
DEVTYPE=usb_interface
DRIVER=usblp
PHYSDEVBUS=usb
PHYSDEVDRIVER=usblp
DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/004/002
PRODUCT=3f0/8604/100
TYPE=0/0/0
INTERFACE=7/1/2
MODALIAS=usb:v03F0p8604d0100dc00dsc00dp00ic07isc01 ip02
SEQNUM=940

Please let me know which routines makes dev files for usb character devices.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
J.H.Kim

Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Ron Johnson

[...]

It's udev. How it does it, I don't know.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car, I won't
have to worry about paying my mortgage."
Peggy Joseph, on why she loves Obama

Old 11-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 10:38:19AM +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I'm looking for routines which make dev files (for example, /dev/usb/lp0
> for usb printer) of USB character devices.

udev

> Is it udev or kernel driver module?

udev loads kernel driver module required to support device request.

> If it is udev, how does it determine the major and minor number of the
> device?

I think you need to google.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udev