FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 AM
TW
 
Default Software For Book Writing

Hi,

I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not
sure what software to use to write it.

I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want
to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s).
The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be
able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for
certain people to download (underagers, for instance). I thought
that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure. I thought
DocBook, but isn't that for documentation? I need something that
goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes,
etc.). Thanks for the help.

By the way, you guys get first dibs on the book (it'll be
free, free as in "free beer"). I'm planning on writing a section
on free software.

--
VR~
TW
Email: twilliams001@elp.rr.com
"Knowledge Is Power"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default Software For Book Writing

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:04:03PM -0700, TW wrote:
> I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not
> sure what software to use to write it.
>
> I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want
> to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s).
> The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be
> able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for
> certain people to download (underagers, for instance). I thought
> that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure. I thought
> DocBook, but isn't that for documentation? I need something that
> goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes,
> etc.). Thanks for the help.

There seems to be a module that converts LaTex into just about anything,
so I'd go with LaTex. I've never used or had need of outputting to
Microsoft Word. If you need to distribute read-only to people, just
make them pdf's from the LaTex. Or HTML. (either will do hypertext
links from the TOC and note markers). Being a plain-text format, you
should be able to make different versions (sensored you say) for people.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi
 
Default Software For Book Writing

TW wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not
sure what software to use to write it.


I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want
to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s).
The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be
able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for
certain people to download (underagers, for instance). I thought
that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure. I thought
DocBook, but isn't that for documentation? I need something that
goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes,
etc.). Thanks for the help.


By the way, you guys get first dibs on the book (it'll be
free, free as in "free beer"). I'm planning on writing a section
on free software.




Latex should be fine. But I have not found any tools to convert latex to
odt. You may also want to look at sisu. It is in the repos and claims to
be able to generate most formats one would care about.



--

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-- Albert Einstein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi
 
Default Software For Book Writing

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:04:03PM -0700, TW wrote:
I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not
sure what software to use to write it.


I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want
to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s).
The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be
able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for
certain people to download (underagers, for instance). I thought
that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure. I thought
DocBook, but isn't that for documentation? I need something that
goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes,
etc.). Thanks for the help.


There seems to be a module that converts LaTex into just about anything,


Can it convert from latex to odt format? I have spent quite a bit of
time unsuccessfully searching for something that would do it without
causing a lot of grief. Please point me to it. It would be a life saver
in those cases where people insist on receiving documents in .doc
format. Last time, I ended up making the document in OpenOffice and
exporting it as word. It was a pain (the writing part, not the export).



so I'd go with LaTex. I've never used or had need of outputting to
Microsoft Word. If you need to distribute read-only to people, just
make them pdf's from the LaTex. Or HTML. (either will do hypertext
links from the TOC and note markers). Being a plain-text format, you
should be able to make different versions (sensored you say) for people.


Doug.





--

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-- Albert Einstein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org