Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Michael Ott

Default Very slim Desktop Manager

Hi!

I am looking for a very slim desktop manager.

The system looking for is a 486 166MHz with 64MB Ram.

I only want to run one or two small applications

CU

Michael

--
,'`.
: :' : Michael Ott

Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
"Zaki Akhmad"

Old 11-06-2008, 01:48 PM
"elijah rutschman"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Michael Ott <michael@king-coder.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a very slim desktop manager.
>
> The system looking for is a 486 166MHz with 64MB Ram.

Hi Michael,

Rox Desktop might be what you are looking for, but I don't know the
minimum specs, and if I remember correctly, only parts of it are
available from the official Debian repositories; you may have to add
something to your /etc/apt/sources.list. See
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/rox.htm

You can also look into Matchbox for an icon/launcher interface. It
has a very low memory footprint but its geared more towards mobile
devices.

-Elijah

Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 02:00:28PM +0100, Michael Ott wrote:
> I am looking for a very slim desktop manager.
>
> The system looking for is a 486 166MHz with 64MB Ram.
>
> I only want to run one or two small applications

I have a 486DX4-100 with 32 MB ram. With that bit of ram it won't
install Debian (but does very well with OpenBSD). I use Icewm on it
with no problems. For an xshell I use mrxvt. For browsing I use dillo
or links (or I ssh to a bigger box and run Konqueror or Iceweasel).

In fact, it is totally useable for everything but heavy-duty web
browsing.

Other window managers you may consider are Openbox, fluxbox, wmii. In
short, there are many light-weight window managers that will run just
fine on your box.

What size hard drives have you had your box recognize? My box is an IBM
and its BIOS baulks at many 8GB drives and all larger ones.

Doug.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM
John Hasler

Michael Ott wrote:
> I only want to run one or two small applications

You don't want a desktop manager at all. You just want a minimal window
manager (and maybe not even that). What applications do you want to run?
--
John Hasler

Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
paragasu

i am using openbox, it is very lightweight

Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Old 11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Jochen Schulz

Sarunas Burdulis:

> Would you care to elaborate? Running Xorg/xinit and an X app is pretty
> austere without window controls... not that it's useless, of course. Or
> did you mean something else?

I guess he meant that desktop manager is a program like xdm, gdm or kdm
(guess why all of them are named *dm. ). It sounds like you don't need
a DM at all but a window manager. My suggestion: try IceWM or one of the
tiling WMs (awesome, ion and ratpoison are some examples).

J.
--
I want to keep my skin looking good but I believe all computers do the
same job.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 17:50:45 +0100, Jochen Schulz (ml@well-adjusted.de) wrote:

> Sarunas Burdulis:
> >
> > Would you care to elaborate? Running Xorg/xinit and an X app is pretty
> > austere without window controls... not that it's useless, of course. Or
> > did you mean something else?
>
> I guess he meant that desktop manager is a program like xdm, gdm or kdm
> (guess why all of them are named *dm. ). It sounds like you don't need
> a DM at all but a window manager. My suggestion: try IceWM or one of the
> tiling WMs (awesome, ion and ratpoison are some examples).

I can confirm that IceWM worked well for me with a 64MB laptop,
admittedly with a P266 processor, running Lenny as recently as six months
ago. Even Iceweasel ran fine, albeit it was somewhat slow to load
initially.