FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Allan Dreyer Andersen
 
Default Wireless network is not working

Hey guys

On my laptop I have just changed from Ubuntu to Debian and somehow I
just can't get the wireless network to work. If I plugin a ethernet
cable the connection is established Immediately.


If I enter the information (SSID, encryption) manually it just fails and
even worse all the surrounding networks aren't listed at all.


lspci shows this:
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)


Ubuntu page about the laptop:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/MSIMegabookGX700

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Allan Dreyer Andersen
 
Default Wireless network is not working

hiko-seijuro skrev:

Hi,

what does "iwconfig" show ?

2008/11/6 Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk <mailto:swoop@swoop.dk>>

Hey guys

On my laptop I have just changed from Ubuntu to Debian and somehow
I just can't get the wireless network to work. If I plugin a
ethernet cable the connection is established Immediately.


iwconfig shows:
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption keyff

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Right now I'm hooked up using the ethernet connection.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default Wireless network is not working

On 2008-11-06 10:17 +0100, Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:

> hiko-seijuro skrev:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what does "iwconfig" show ?
>>
>> 2008/11/6 Allan Dreyer Andersen <swoop@swoop.dk <mailto:swoop@swoop.dk>>
>>
>> Hey guys
>>
>> On my laptop I have just changed from Ubuntu to Debian and somehow
>> I just can't get the wireless network to work. If I plugin a
>> ethernet cable the connection is established Immediately.
>>
> iwconfig shows:
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0 no wireless extensions.
>
> wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
>
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412
> GHz Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm Retry
> min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B Encryption
> keyff
> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>
> Right now I'm hooked up using the ethernet connection.

Do you use network-manager? There are lots of open bugs against it, for
instance http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=430580 might
be related to your problem.

Sven,
who is still using ifupdown and wpa_supplicant instead of
the network-manager mess.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Allan Dreyer Andersen
 
Default Wireless network is not working

Sven Joachim skrev:

Do you use network-manager? There are lots of open bugs against it, for
instance http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=430580 might
be related to your problem.

Yes I use network-manager. Looks like you are right with the issues with
the network-manager application.


I've a Ubuntu live cd, and there isn't any problem and the
network-manager works as it should. Package version is 0.7.0 and Debian
only is at 0.6.6 so guess I have to wait for a Debian package.


Thanks a lot for your time and input guys.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default Wireless network is not working

On 2008-11-06 13:02 +0100, Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:

> I've a Ubuntu live cd, and there isn't any problem and the
> network-manager works as it should. Package version is 0.7.0 and
> Debian only is at 0.6.6 so guess I have to wait for a Debian package.

There is a prerelease of 0.7.0 in experimental¹, it should be worth a
try.

Sven


¹ http://packages.debian.org/experimental/network-manager


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Emanoil Kotsev
 
Default Wireless network is not working

Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:

> Sven Joachim skrev:
>> Do you use network-manager? There are lots of open bugs against it, for
>> instance http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=430580 might
>> be related to your problem.
>>
> Yes I use network-manager. Looks like you are right with the issues with
> the network-manager application.
>
> I've a Ubuntu live cd, and there isn't any problem and the
> network-manager works as it should. Package version is 0.7.0 and Debian
> only is at 0.6.6 so guess I have to wait for a Debian package.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time and input guys.
>

I had a problem with ubuntu with the network-manager in general. It got
solved as I removed everything from /etc/network/interfaces except lo and
added permitions for networkmanager in dbus.
The wireless is still a bit wired. I have intel3945 and I have sometimes to
reload the driver to get it working (when I boot with wlan switched off).
Usually it works when I enable with the wireless switch on the notebook,
sometimes 'iwconfig wlan0 txpower on' or over a gui.

regards


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default Wireless network is not working

On 2008-11-07 09:09 +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

> The wireless is still a bit wired.

Now _that_'s wired, er weird, isn't it?

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Allan Dreyer Andersen
 
Default Wireless network is not working

Sven Joachim skrev:

I've a Ubuntu live cd, and there isn't any problem and the
network-manager works as it should. Package version is 0.7.0 and
Debian only is at 0.6.6 so guess I have to wait for a Debian package.



There is a prerelease of 0.7.0 in experimental¹, it should be worth a
try.


Thanks for looking for this package.
Perhaps I did something wrong here but it really did screw up my network
- in fact I couldn't even connect to anything no matter if I used cable
or not.


Have also changed to unstable - didn't make any difference. Guess
because the packages related here are at the same level.


Guess I've to monitor the bug report you linked to earlier.

--

Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org