-   -   Talking with Yahoo Messenger (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/188459-talking-yahoo-messenger.html)

Martin 11-05-2008 03:57 PM

Talking with Yahoo Messenger

Hello,
I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
Is there some program for debian that can do this?

Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
protocol for transferring voice need?

Martin

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi 11-08-2008 03:16 AM

Martin wrote:

> Hello,
> I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
> programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
> when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
> Is there some program for debian that can do this?
>
> Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
> dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
> hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
> protocol for transferring voice need?
>
> Martin

AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
in Linux, Windows.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Mark Allums 11-08-2008 03:43 AM

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

Martin wrote:

Hello,
I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
Is there some program for debian that can do this?

Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
protocol for transferring voice need?

Martin

AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
in Linux, Windows.

raju

In the US, a 56k dialup running at 53k (max allowed by law, and rarely
achieved in practice) gives you just about the necessary bandwidth for
voice over IP, *and nothing else*. Overhead, or some other piece of
software phoning home, will just about kill it. POTS (plain old
telephone service) lines are really a voice medium, it's kind of ironic
that it's hard to do voice over a voice line.

50,000 bps - 20% for overhead = 40,000 bps. 40,000 divided by 3 is
about 13,000 Hz max frequency, one channel of FM-quality sound. For
voice, 8,000 Hz will do. Going the other direction, 3 x 8,000 = 24,000
bps. 24,000 is 80% of 30,000. So, using these assumptions, 33k dialup
for VOIP is just barely feasible. Using compression, it should be
possible.[0]

I expect it would work with the right software. As Kamaraju wrote, gaim
is not the place to start.

Mark Allums

0. Not a voice-over-IP expert, and yes, I *have* heard of Nyquist.
Three samples at the highest desired frequency gives better results,
especially for voice. What modulation does Skype use? Some type of
delta modulation would be my guess for dialup, but I have no real idea.

Tzafrir Cohen 11-08-2008 06:21 AM

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 05:57:29PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hello,
> I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
> programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
> when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
> Is there some program for debian that can do this?

Gaim is now called "Pidgin". It still can't handle voice chats well.

kopete seems to be able to use video, but not audio, for some strange
reason. Telepathy/Empathy does not seem to support voice chats with
Yahoo accounts (which are only supported through pidgin's libpurple).

> Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
> dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
> hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
> protocol for transferring voice need?

Good codecs like speex and the patented g729 would work over dialup.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

John Hasler 11-08-2008 12:44 PM

Talking with Yahoo Messenger

Mark Allums wries:
> In the US, a 56k dialup running at 53k (max allowed by law, and rarely
> achieved in practice) gives you just about the necessary bandwidth for
> voice over IP, *and nothing else*.

That's 56k downbound. Upbound is 33k max.

> Not a voice-over-IP expert, and yes, I *have* heard of Nyquist.

Good. Now read Shannon. The number of bits per second you can push
through a channel depends on the bandwidth _and_ the signal to noise
ratio.

> What modulation does Skype use? Some type of delta modulation would be
> my guess for dialup, but I have no real idea.

None. Skype surely uses some sort of compression, but the modem handles
the physical layer using complex multitone modulation schemes.
--
John Hasler

Mark Allums 11-08-2008 09:05 PM

Talking with Yahoo Messenger

John Hasler wrote:

Mark Allums wries:

In the US, a 56k dialup running at 53k (max allowed by law, and rarely
achieved in practice) gives you just about the necessary bandwidth for
voice over IP, *and nothing else*.

That's 56k downbound. Upbound is 33k max.

Been upgraded to 44k. dialup still sucks though.

Not a voice-over-IP expert, and yes, I *have* heard of Nyquist.

Good. Now read Shannon. The number of bits per second you can push
through a channel depends on the bandwidth _and_ the signal to noise
ratio.

Read him. I am being specific about the approximate reproduction of a
"waveform" from digital samples here, not about maximum channel
capacity. Two samples per "wave" ensures that all the frequencies are
there, but three bits makes a more "accurate" reproduction. At the
highest frequencies, the human ear probably can't tell the difference,
which is why the sample rate of a standard CD is "only" 48kHz. (44.1
after mastering)

What modulation does Skype use? Some type of delta modulation would be
my guess for dialup, but I have no real idea.

None. Skype surely uses some sort of compression, but the modem handles
the physical layer using complex multitone modulation schemes.

Again, I am being specific about the encoding of the voice signal into
bits, not the type of signal modulation done on the physical channel.
Which is a type of angle modulation, specifically a phase encoding
whereby each transition encodes three bits.

Delta modulation is good for a DAC with a small sample size. Remember
those DOS games where they managed to reproduce a digitized sound out of
the PC "beep" speaker? That was a one-bit DAC, and they used delta
modulation to make it work.

My problem is, I think, that I don't use the standard terminology very well.

Mark Allums

Michael Pobega 11-11-2008 11:59 PM

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:16:49PM -0500, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
> > programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
> > when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
> > Is there some program for debian that can do this?
> >
> > Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
> > dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
> > hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
> > protocol for transferring voice need?
> >
> > Martin
>
> AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
> in Linux, Windows.
>
> raju

I would *not* use Skype. The last time I had Skype installed it opened a
ton of ports on my router (I have no clue how it got into my router
configuration without the password), and since then I've switched to
using Ekiga for my everything SIP calls. And it's also free (as in
freedom) software, unlike Skype which is proprietary as well as a
security hazard in my personal opinion.

--
AIM: BlockMeHarder MSN: pobega@gmail.com JIM: pobega@jaim.at
Follow my Tweets; http://twitter.com/pobega

steve 11-12-2008 12:30 AM

Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:16:49PM -0500, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
>>> programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
>>> when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
>>> Is there some program for debian that can do this?
>>>
>>> Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
>>> dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
>>> hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
>>> protocol for transferring voice need?
>>>
>>> Martin
>> AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
>> in Linux, Windows.
>>
>> raju
>
> I would *not* use Skype. The last time I had Skype installed it opened a
> ton of ports on my router (I have no clue how it got into my router
> configuration without the password), and since then I've switched to
> using Ekiga for my everything SIP calls. And it's also free (as in
> freedom) software, unlike Skype which is proprietary as well as a
> security hazard in my personal opinion.

well, thanks for the heads up on that. I had no idea skype used those
ports.... been using it with a dlink router piped through my wired home
phones, and cordless phones for nearly 2 years as our "landline". beats
telco by $$$..... relatives call hungary nearly every day, telco charges
$1 something a minute, skype is 2 cents minute lol.... found this
article for anyone whos interested...

http://techreflect.blogspot.com/2006/09/does-skype-make-small-businesses.html

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better." Abraham Lincoln 1848

Paul Johnson 11-14-2008 09:26 PM

Talking with Yahoo Messenger

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> AFAIK, gaim can't do voice chat. Use Skype for voice chat. Skype works both
> in Linux, Windows.

To use Skype is to say that it's perfectly OK to grossly violate the
GPL. Boycott Skype.

Paul Johnson 11-14-2008 09:27 PM

Michael Pobega wrote:
> I would *not* use Skype. The last time I had Skype installed it opened a
> ton of ports on my router (I have no clue how it got into my router
> configuration without the password), and since then I've switched to
> using Ekiga for my everything SIP calls.
It wouldn't need your password to open ports if UPnP is enabled on the
router.